What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vanishing Point or vanishing patience

limey

Power User
This is driving my crazy, I have been using vanishing point to copy a slab of granite onto a counter top to see what it would look like with my kitchen decor.
Everything was going along just fine and I got an island countertop covered using the right plane for it but when i tried to repeat the process for another section of counter I can't get it to work.

I make the grids just where I want them and include the island counter in the grid so I will have a source to copy from.? When I click on the Marquee tool for selecting a section of the source and then click and drag it to where I want it there is nothing in the selection.
I can see the rectangle of the Marquee moving as I drag but when I get to the target area and release it there is nothing there.
I tried also to use the Stamp tool just to see if it worked but the same thing happened, nothing would clone.

It's as though I'm selecting an empty layer but I have the Background selected which has the source area on it. I even made a copy of the background layer as the original layer was locked and I thought maybe that was the cause of the problem but using the copy of the background layer I still couldn't get it to select anything.
I'm sure there is going to be some simple explanation which is going to make me look like a dummy but I feel like a dummy already so......... [confused]

Did you try restarting Photoshop? Might be a little temporary glitch. Also depends on if your verson is legit or not.

8)) - Al

I had to reinstall PS the other day - and found the toolbox playing up like this.
Deleting the preference file and settings file and then restarting PS fixed it.

Alistair said:
Did you try restarting Photoshop?? Might be a little temporary glitch.? Also depends on if your verson is legit or not.?

8)) - Al

Al you were right, all I needed to do was restart my computer and it worked just fine, my PS is legit, thanks for the suggestion.
Thanks also for your suggestion Shaun

No problem. I've found out that most of my comps problems are fixed through restarting. Actually, the last problem I had with this computer, I got tired so I opened up the case, unplugged and replugged the connections in the main hd, and it worked fine after that [confused] Dust inbetween the connections? \:/

Actually, the last problem I had with this computer, I got tired so I opened up the case, unplugged and replugged the connections in the main hd, and it worked fine after that Dust inbetween the connections?
Wow, I'm glad I haven't had to go that far yet. I've had many problems before, and I am usually able to fix them. What I do know is a good reformatting about once a year. Clean out the HD and put everything back on. It keeps my comp fresh and tiddy. No matter how hard I try, my comp eventually gets gummed up again.
It's always good to delete all temp files once in a while, scan for spyware and viruses every day, and defragment too.

p?tr??k said:
It's always good to delete all temp files once in a while,
p?tr??k .. have you pointed your windows TEMP/TMP files away from your C:\ drive?? ... refer image below .. :)

Alistair said:
Dust inbetween the connections?

We had a server at work that kept playing up. Engineer took the front off and cleaned it out with a vacuum cleaner -
so much for static electricity precautions!
Then it worked fine again.

Alistair said:
? Dust inbetween the connections?? ?
Alistair .. my 'computer room' has an open wood fire in it (which I use regularly during winter) ... so far (in 5 years) I haven't had a prob ... just lucky I guess :D

p?tr??k .. have you pointed your windows TEMP/TMP files away from your C:\ drive??
No. I didn't realize I could. "Enviornment Variables"?? Hmmmm, where is that option?
I've always just done a search for all .tmp files and deleted those.

p?tr??k said:
No. I didn't realize I could. "Enviornment Variables"?? Hmmmm, where is that option?

control panel / system / advanced.

Now click the bottom/left button that reads Environment Variables.

Hope this helps p?tr??k ;)

Back