What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Vector PDF

Liam Harris

Help.... Ive sent an image to a company to make some stickers but they have sent me this back

"Sadly the image uploaded isn't going to give you the best results. To be able to get the best results I would recommend contacting the designer/supplier of the image to ask for a Vector PDF, EPS or AI file with all the fonts converted to outlines/shapes/curves in CMYK colour format.
Note that you cannot convert a JPEG/PNG image into a vector image and needs to come from the supplier."

image below im stuck as i dont understand this :(RCB.jpg

Hi @Liam Harris
I don't know if you work for RCB motors yet they certainly have paid someone to have a high quality version of you image so the high quality version should exist and could be leveraged.
The image you have is low quality, and very fuzzy while the example below which is just a picture of the displayed banner.
So your vendor is indicating to go get the original image from the person who created it to use as your starting point. I don't know if the car images were in vector format or not yet certainly all the text was. Converting to CMYK is not an issue.
It is possible to create vector files from JPEG/PNG in Adobe Illustrator yet not preferred and if that is the only path, the original JEPG/PNG files have to be high resolution and high quality.
Just some quick thoughts and hope this helps
John Wheeler

example quality.jpg

Just to add to what @thebestcpu wrote above, the vendor (printer) is being highly specific as to how the file needs to be prepared. To be a true vector based image, it needs to be created in a program like Illustrator. JPGs and PNGs are basically raster based built of individual pixels. SVGs are vector based and are made with geometric lines so all edges are sharp and clean.
Printing in CMYK means that the vendor wants to print in process (cyan/magenta/yellow/black), and not in individual colors like black and PMS green (white is usually the color of the substrate). Most likely the vendor is requesting process files because of the images of the cars. Although I don't clearly understand myself why he would want to print in 4 color process when all he needs in 2 PMS colors. Again, that's the way he's set up and most likely he's doing what's called gang printing - putting several people's jobs up on one sheet and printing all in the same 4 process colors no matter what they look like.
A true vector based image has to be done in Illustrator or another vector based program. As John said above, someone has those files. If you have access to both the files and the designer, ask them to set up an svg file to the format you want.
As an alternative, if you want to match the banner above, see if you can get your hands on the origiinal car images, the name of the green PMs color so it can be broken down to CMYK, and also the type font and put a message up on the paid forum. Lot of artists here who can jump on it and get it done. It's a bit of upfront labor but nothing difficult or dramatic.
BTW - I've recently been schooled on taking a raster image (jpg or png), running it thru a vector based program, and saving it as an svg file. But it doesn't come out as clean as being done in the native software.
I hope I've added some to the insight about the process adn also hope I haven't given you a fright. Any further questions, let us know.

- Jeff

Back