What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Vertical Flaws on Black and White

Landlocation

Premium Member
I am having an issue trying to get rid of vertical lines on black and white, have tried a few things but still can see the flaw, any feed back would be great. Thanks.

Map 169-45-S1-0006.jpg

I tried several methods but suddenly had an epiphany thinking about my old days in the photo lab.
Turned to the dodge and burn tools for help and they seemed to get the job done.
I set the Burn tool to Highlights with 3-4% exposure:

1606866214923.png

Then using a large diameter brush, begin brushing over that vertical banding area. If I went a little too far - and I happened to notice some darker areas in your image - I went to the Dodge tool, set to shadows, and also at about 3-4%

This is where I ended up:

black and white banding edited.jpg

Possibly someone else may come up with another solution. :)
- Jeff

Last edited:
I tried several methods but suddenly had an epiphany thinking about my old days in the photo lab.
Turned to the dodge and burn tools for help and they seemed to get the job done.
I set the Burn tool to Highlights with 3-4% exposure:

View attachment 117373

Then using a large diameter brush, begin brushing over that vertical banding area. If I went a little too far - and I happened to notice some darker areas in your image - I went to the Dodge tool, set to shadows, and also at about 3-4%

This is where I ended up:

View attachment 117374

Possibly someone else may come up with another solution. :)
- Jeff
Thanks for the info, that is alot better than I did. Kim

Thanks for the info, that is alot better than I did. Kim
Many thanks for the response. Sometimes we're guilty of looking for more complicated solutions than we need to - so many buttons and levers to choose from.
Glad I could help!
- Jeff

Selected (feathered) the affected area and used curves adjustments to balance the light to nearby areas, Fine tuned with with dodge and burn.

Map.jpg

Back