What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vines

Alistair

Guru
I need to know how to make highly realistic plant vines... any thoughts or tutorials? thanks - Alistair

No tutorials that I know of, Alistair... :\

I would suggest that you grab yourself a picture of some vines and start creating! Maybe make yourself a few "custom leaf shapes" so that you can quickly and easily create leaves of various sizes. ;)

Thanks wendy. I'll do that. After I get home I'll show ya all the project that i'm working on ;)

When you get it figured out, please share the knowledge. I've always wanted to make photorealistic plants and vines. The farthest I've gotten was this leaf, which still looks pretty fake to me. One leaf does not a plant make, but I gave up anyway :{

leaf-big.jpg

Tioem

Tioem :) com

Well, that's not a real leaf like you said its really darn close. I think that is stunning. Ever think of writing a tutorial for that?

Sanby

Thanks Sanby! I've never thought of making a tut for the leaf but it's a good idea. I made it about 2 years ago, so remembering what I did would be the hardest part ;-)

Tioem

Tioem :) com

here's the wallpaper im working on ;) I want to get vines, like ivy, make it look as though they are wrapping around the arms ;) :

Well, I would model them and render.
Then give them some touching up in PS.

There can be.
All it takes is something like Wings3D.

yea, but I cand figure out uv mapping in wings3D, so thats a nono. Unless you know how to [excited] [innocent]

Don't need UV.
Give the vines and leaves a nice shade of green, let Poser to the base shading, then touch it up in PS.
Render it at twice the size, take it into PS, do some sloppy painting, size it down, and call it good.
It's not that hard.
You might surprise yourself.

a

ye im with stroker but a simpler way of doing it if you dont have the right tools are simply make the vine part and then you can draw the leaves on in ps after you have rendered it.

Rock on

Here's another "fake" leaf. The tricky bit is getting the minor surface detail to look realistic. Mind you, if you want photo-realism, the thing to do is to take photograph with a digital camera. OTOH, if you want to get "guidebook" close, this isn't all that bad. It isn't quite good enough for a guidebook--yet--but I'm working on it.

Another one of the things I've been working on is morning glory vines. They're handy for hanging over fences, walls, handrails and what-have-you. Plants, especially flowering plants, help liven up the backgrounds. I've noticed that CG pics tend to suffer from a paucity of such things. Sounds like an excuse to do some still lifes. Guess I had better get to work.

Back