What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was this achieved with Photoshop?

sophie43

Hi everyone - this is my first post on these excellent forums :D

I recently came across this photo of some guys visit to Orlando and this was one of the photos he took - he said he manipulated it in PS.

374MK1-med.jpg

Could someone please expalin how it was done, as I have some lovely pictures I would like to have that same effect.

Thanks for reading

Bye

Sophie :perfect:

Looks like the saturation levels were pushed up high, and then one of the artistic filters, maybe colored pencil, was used.

Try experimenting a bit with duplicates of your original image.

Welcome to the forums, sophie43!

MsOz set you in the right direction. The image I've posted had the following steps. (It is one of the stock photographs included in the Photoshop 7 package.)

Open image
Copy background so it is on two layers on the new layer...
Filter > Pixilate > Mezzotint > Fine Dots
Filter > Blur > Motion Blur (adjust to taste)
Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Hue/Saturation... Increase the saturation dramatically.
{Here there may have been a contrast adjustment with levels or a Contrast adjustment layer.}
Add layer mask to the copied background layer on which the filters were run. Paint the layer mask to reveal more clearly some of the detail of the background layer.

Here's the result...

Pretty close, Welles!
The only reason I think it is a stock PS filter, and not a tutorial effect is the opposite direction strokes most visible in the trees. That's almost a dead PS filter giveaway.

MsOz,

While I'm not sure, as I look at the originally posted image, I only see the strokes going in one direction although there is a slight texture, probably canvas, underneath. I opened up the filter factory and did a quick study of all the possible filters. As you suggested Colored Pencil was most likely, but it had a primary stroke pattern in one direction with a secondary at right angles which gives a subtle crosshatched effect. I then looked through all the commonly available third party effects filters but came up empty. At that point I just analyzed the effect and tried to recreate it, although I didn't bother throwing in the canvas texture.

\:]

Hi again, thanks for the welcome.

I'm going to give those suggestions a try - I'll report back with the outcome.

Sophie

Back