What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watercolor

P

(PSD) Sergiy

Hello fellas,
Its been almost half a year since i posted anything around here. Sorry i couldnt stick around, things were pretty much busy for me...
Anyway, i am going to college right now and i have a Photoshop CS class. On the begining of the course teacher asked if anyone else has anything to show her. I said that i have some works to show, she was really excited to see it first, but when she saw it, her smile left her face and so on she doesnt even wants to talk to me.
You know, i have no problem with teacher being jelous ar anything like that, but why would she start giving me a low grades?
For example here i have done WaterBaloon project and she gave me (c-) is that really what i deserve?

http://www.modafloor.com/sergiy/Balloon.jpg

You know the problem with some people? There's a saying (do you know it?)...

Those who can, do. Those who can't, (try to) teach. That's not to say there aren't good teachers out there, but obviously some get "jealous" when their students can do great (or at least better) work, than they can. I've had a few in my past, for various work.

Can you take it up with University administrators? Sounds like it's "personal", but who knows for sure? I don't.

I've enjoyed your work that you've posted, for a long time. If it's any consolation. Sorry, I don't offer college credit though.

Looks great to me!

I'm with ricib, at least mention it to an administrator. They usually have open door policies, dont they? You would think at a University level you wouldn't have to deal with this. There is always 2 sides to every story, so just going by what your side... but I can't see why that deserved a C-... unless it was suppose to be a portrait of a pet. LOL Good luck!

I agree with Sheba and ricib. Is the teacher approachable enough to find out why it was graded so? If not, there's some personal issue going on which has nothing to do with your art. That water balloon piece is very interesting. It could be done in Illustrator, even.

If the teacher can't communicate, I'd go to the next level of administration and express my concerns. In the final analysis, grades at school don't mean too much in the world of graphics, your portfolio is everything.

I agree with Welles. I would try asking her the reason for the grade. You could approach this as a concerned student who wants to improve, but needs to know where your improvements ned to be. Personally, I think that the peice is very well put together, and composed well. Yourtalent and technique are to be envied. Welles has another point. While you may need the paper to help get the job, it's the actual peices you have to exhibit that will be the difference. If the teacher has actual reasons for the average grade, listen, learn, and improve. I had an art teacher that rarely gave an A for work. She had very good reason to though. she was very technically judemental about how she wanted things done. But, she was very concise about what needed improvement and how offered suggestions on how to do it. If they him haw around and stumble for reasons, I would definitely take it to the next level with maybe the department head. Good luck. In my opinion, the peice is fantastic. A+

Thank you very much friends for you opinions, i really apreciate your time for writing your comments to me.

My personal opinion, i dont really think that this peace deserves a full grade as A+. There are few detaeils are messed up and there are few mid tones with shadows are missing, but its all not a big deal, its just the time i put in this peace and if you would compare this peace with any other students work it is definetely very outlooking.

Anyway, i have another assignment coming up and if you'd be interested i will post it :)

Thanks,

Its about 1:00 AM at night, just finished working on the assignment... Maybe she will like this one better?

Watercolor.jpg

watercolor_filled.jpg

Well, I just wanted to jump in on here. I have gone through college and grad school and part of a doctorate program la la la. Teachers are teachers, they are people they do not typically know everything. What you will really get out of college is not from any teacher it is the abuility to learn and research what you NEED to know in the future. It is also a frame of mindset that you develop by seeking a degree.

As for your photo, pic I think it is very neat. BUT did it match the assignment?? That is the question not whether the pic is good or not but did you take in the information that SHE is trying to teach you and apply it to what you are doing. It is easy to look at a teacher and find their faults but it is harder to look at a teacher (with faults) with an open mind to DISCOVER what they do HAVE that they CAN teach you.

You need to go about life like that, my three year old although not as knowlegeable about the world etc. can teach me a college manual of things!!!

Remember what you get out of the class (or life) is what YOU make from it. Yea that teacher might really really really suck big time but what can you learn from that!!! :) This is education --

Take care and become a sticky ball that bounces off of teachers and picks up the little pieces along the way that will help you. If you continue to pursue your own mindset then you will not grow. Reach into your teachers 'weird'
mindset and pull something from that. Even if it is not ps but if it is how to deal with people.

Melissa

Back