What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Webp plugin

polarwoc

Guru
A lot of images are available in the Webp format these days. Webp images are usually great quality and nice to work on.

Adobe Photoshop does not natively support the Webp format. To get around this, the creator of the format, WebM has made this plugin available. The plugin needs to be dropped into the Plugins folder of Photoshop and the program needs to be restarted in order to open Webp files on PS.

JeffK

Guru
Thanks P! I've been running into that format a lot lately.
There's also an online converter I've been using:

thebestcpu

Guru
Thanks @polarwoc !! I too am coming across webp images quite often and it has been slowing me down dealing with them. I will give the plugin a try.
I know that webp has a smaller size compared to jpg files at a given "quality" level. Handled easily on google products yet has not caught on in other browsers. In fact, I believe web designers need to provided JPEG images to Firefox and Safari browsers last I heard. So not as widely accepted even though it has been around for 11 years.
So webp may be the darling for web oriented images, I want to know if its better that jpg in post processing. Both are lossy formats yet which one will so more artifacts when post processing? I will have to do some investigation.
Thanks again for the link to the plugin
John Wheeler

polarwoc

Guru
So webp may be the darling for web oriented images, I want to know if its better that jpg in post processing. Both are lossy formats yet which one will so more artifacts when post processing? I will have to do some investigation.
John,
I would love to know your opinion on WebP format in comparison to JPEG. But, your message sent me off to find what is on the net in terms of comparison. In summary, WebP is about 25-34% less disk space consuming than JPEG of similar quality.
1.png
Source.
Note : the study is done by Google, which has acquired and developed the WebP technology.

The Plugin also lets you save a file as a WebP file besides just opening them in PS.

puraidodes

Thanks! @polarwoc . It's good to have something inside PS that can fix this.
I have not used any online converters as of now. I have been just using plain old " MSPaint " in windows. For some reason, it can open Webp :unsure:. So, I just save it as .png to get the most out of it and continue my work. I don't think many have tried this.
As for quality as I am saving it as to .png so it's better than .jpg!

puraidodes

Hmm...But I have not had any errors, as of yet.
Here are some examples- [some webp images of the internet]

I tried opening them in PS. It says " Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document ". But easily opens in MS paint.
Windows 10 Home

If it is okay for you to share the file do share it. Maybe I can see if it opens the file.

polarwoc

Guru

puraidodes

@polarwoc Here is the file, jake.webp as you said it opens! No problems here.

jake.png

But I have no idea why though, Lol! I just keep my windows updated.
I searched for WebP.dll, could not find it either. Maybe it's not searchable.
I hope the plugin eases things now!

@JeffK I did not get any hits. Checked online too.

thebestcpu

Guru
I have a MacBook Pro using PS 2021 and all four images from @puraidodes and the one image from @polarwoc opened just fine for me after installation of the plugin for PS on Mac.
No noticeable difference in the images other than all of the images were sRGB except for the one from @polarwoc which was an untagged image (no attached ICC profile) which should make no difference in opening a file.
Also saw not difference in Macs Finder when using Get Info.
Screen shot below
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.52.20 AM.jpg