What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Wedding photo help - Medication-related hair thinning

RFEnglish

Hey all, I'm a relative noob with Photoshop and I'm looking for help with a wedding photo. My wife has been on an intense medication that has caused her hair to thin substantially. There are a couple photos that are close up and highlight an extremely thin spot in her hair (right near her temple). I've had good results with photos from a further vantage point, but I've spent untold hours on this photo and haven't had any success with natural looking results. I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. I'm happy to answer any questions you have! Thanks so much.

BobAshleyWedding-129.jpg

That totally looks natural. I can't even figure out what you did. How did you do that?

Thank you.
I used around 30 layers in all, trying to gradually fill-in the volume of hair. I started by copying all the existing hair from her ear to the large braid and moving it into position. Then I lightened it with Curves and warped it to shape it to her head, masking-out any obvious sharp transitions. Then I copied all of that a few more times and used the Move tool to fully cover the area of thin hair. Once I had that basic background I used the clone stamp a million times to better blend everything into the existing hair. I also manually drew my own wisps of hair to create lights and darks and to create the stray light hairs that are blown by the wind. I think the whole thing took about an hour.

Thank you.
I used around 30 layers in all, trying to gradually fill-in the volume of hair. I started by copying all the existing hair from her ear to the large braid and moving it into position. Then I lightened it with Curves and warped it to shape it to her head, masking-out any obvious sharp transitions. Then I copied all of that a few more times and used the Move tool to fully cover the area of thin hair. Once I had that basic background I used the clone stamp a million times to better blend everything into the existing hair. I also manually drew my own wisps of hair to create lights and darks and to create the stray light hairs that are blown by the wind. I think the whole thing took about an hour.

Thanks for the info.

Awesome job.

Rich54, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. Your work looks absolutely amazing. I'm learning a bit of your technique as I play with a couple other photos that will make my wife's day to see.

Also, are you a beer drinker? I brewed a bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout that I aged on oak for 9 months as a gift for my groomsmen, and I'd love to send you a bottle as a thank you for your help. If you're comfortable with that, message me your address and I'll get it out to you.

Thank you so much!

Back