What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What digitalcamera should I get?

Hypercite

Hey all!

I am going to buy me a new digitalcamera for parties.
Yes thats it. Nothing special or with lots of functions....
I just whant a camera that takes good pictures with one press...

And ofcource it has to have a decent flash for those darker houres of the day.
Price is also a big issue here...
I dint wnat something expencive since the camera is ONLY for parties and therefore
could break or get loost....

So what camera should I get...?
Does anyone have their own good experience with a partie camera and might wanna share it?

A price around 100 euros would be nice....

Hyper

Shaun

I have a Minolta Dimage Z1, which can do movies (incl. sound) as well as still photos.
Minolta have stopped making them, but you should be able to pick up the Z2 still.

MindBender

Guru
Fuji Finepix F20... does high ISO so you don't need a flash. Sharp pics and long battery life.

I've been shooting with an F30 (the more expensive and more featured version) and have been very happy. Low light shots, like parties and restaurant, are nice and much more natural since you don't have to wash things out with a flash.

Check out reviews at:

http://www.dcresource.com
http://www.dpreview.com

Not sure if they have the F20 reviews posted yet, but I know the F10 and F30 reviews are there. The F20 is basically the F30 without all the manual controls and slightly less ISO cap (still more than nearly every other P&S digital camera though).

Hypercite

okay
sounds great with the F 20
havent checked the price yet though....

ill be back

hyper

Hypercite

One bad thing....
I want the camera to use an SD card...makes it much simpler with other thigs....
sorry didnt say that....

hyper

MindBender

Guru
Well.. that could make a difference. You aren't going to get the low light capabilities of the Fuji cameras from ANY other camera in the P&S style. Other options might be available though.

Pentax is releasing a new Optimo.. the uh... S7 I think. That is supposed to shoot in higher ISO... but not compared to the F20 or F30.

Hypercite

okey!
Seems like you know your stuff....
The thing is... the SD card is so much more widley used and its therefore easy to buy any other new electronics
withouit having to buy a new card every time...
Im a student so I dont have that much cash....sadly...

Still looknig...

My buddy came over a canon IXUS 60 Wirless for just 100 euro at a super sale....but they were sold out after 2 hours :(

So Ill just have to keep a look out...

Thanx for your help MindBender!
More help is also apreciated.

Thanx!

Hyper

MindBender

Guru
Does anyone know about the Canon Rebel?

I know I don't like it... does that count? :) You're also talking about a much more expensive, larger, and more complex camera at that point too.

Hypercite ? The main reason to get an SD card would be 1. price and 2. if you already have devices that use SD or are planning on getting some. I found a 1GB xD type H (the brand new fast ones, faster than regular SD I believe) for $35. Not too bad. You could get an SD card, if you waited for sales for a little less... but a couple bucks doesn't make or break the deal for me. Just something to think about. xD has been around for a while too, so it's probably not going to be fazed out any time soon. Olympus and Fuji are sticking with it.

If low light isn't an issue for you or you're happy with using a flash, then there are lots of other options for you.

Hypercite

okay
saw the canon ixus 60 for a nice price....it has 800 ISO...isnt that enogh though?

Thanx again for your great relies and you kindnes :)
This forum rocks!
;)

Hyper

MindBender

Guru
It's not just the ISO... it's how useful the ISO is. Check out the reviews on www.dcresource.com and compare the pictures in low light to any other camera. The ISO 800 of the F30 is the same quality as the ISO 100 or 200 of most other cameras. I've seen other cameras that can do 800 ISO (P&S cameras) but they look like crap. heh

If you don't mind a flash... don't worry about it. But there is nothing on the market right now in a P&S that even comes close to the F30 for low light at high image quality. I've shot useable pictures at 3200 ISO in pitch blackness where I couldn't even see the target myself. A little grainy, but I cleaned them up and they're still useable. I don't even have the flash turned on anymore. It's permanently set to "suppress flash" so I don't get flash highlight blowouts.

Take that with a grain of salt. If you don't mind using a flash, there are some really nice cameras out there. I just wanted something that could shoot without a flash in low light and still take high quality pictures.

Some samples I took myself:

Bright sunlight, outside in direct sun in the afternoon.

Indoors at night with only one light on, no flash.

Dusk, just after the sun had set. No flash.

Obvious.

Also obvious.

Sunset, in my driveway. No flash.

Here's the kicker. That's a car I have the camera sitting on. It was so dark I couldn't see the end of the car, let alone the yard beyond or the hillside. I could just barely see the glow from the streetlamp at the end of the road (that green glow across the field is from the streetlamp over the hedges and such on the right). No moonlight to speakof since it was overcast as you can see, I was shooting away from the moon anyway. I couldn't see anything... the sky was black as far as I knew. Was surprised to see the picture when I downloaded it.

Bear in mind that these have all been shrunk down for upload... the images are normally 2800px when I start with them. Other than that, I really haven't touched them up in Photoshop much or at all.

I would check out the site at DCResource. The guy that does the reivews is a professional photographer... and he shoots the same subjects for every camera so you can get a really easy comparison of how each camera handles all sorts of situations. He's very indepth too. Doesn't do every camera, but lots of them are reviewed. I was looking at lots of cameras and that site helped me decide on what I needed.

You could also go to your local camera shop and ask to play with the cameras. I did that too. Just to see what they felt like to use, how easily you could control them, etc. There are lots of good cameras out there right now... there are just a few that stand out from the crowd. I was looking at the Fuji F30, the Panasonic TZ1, and the Canon A620 all for different reasons. The low light and high image quality of the Fuji won me over.

I know.. I sound like a broken record. :)

prijikn

i heard Canon SD790IS Digital Camera is excellent. Just as attractive are its high-end specifications.

dheva

You'll always be thinking of this model so you'd better get it. You'll only blame yourself later if you get a crappy replacement. It's hard to choose a camera these days with all the models to choose from. It's like falling in love. Follow your heart. Nevermind the price. Buy it now.

rushnp774

My parents and sister have owned many Canon PowerShot cameras over the last few years and have been very happy with them. I have a Nikon D90 myself, and love the heck out of it, but it's more than what you want to spend. I'd recommend checking out the PowerShots.

pepsi

If you want features, the Panasonic DMC-FZ7 is a good one. It has a simple mode you can use, or you can go full manual, or anywhere in between. You can add lenses and filters to it. It has good resolution. It's a good point and shoot that's as close to dSLR without jumping into the thousand dollar price range.
=============================================
alcohol drug treatment
restylane florida