What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do with this graphic?

sal4gal

I am attaching a file that I am working on. I hope that I attached it right! namvet, I followed your instructions from the resolution lesson to get it down to 72, COOL! :perfect: I printed out your lesson and I have filed it for frequent referral!

Anyway, there is a .png of a fish that I want to move down into the dialogue box. But the box and the fish are both dark. What can I do to make the fish stand out? Maybe a slight white glow? I don't know how to do that.

Any suggestions have to be easy, LOL!

Sallie

sal4gal ... there are many ways to tackle this (pun not intended :) ) ... is the fish a seperate image? (but it doesn't really matter - it can be fixed) ...and do you want to keep the 'drop shadow' that is around your fish? ...
the short explanation is ... to remove drop shadow use eraser tool, or add layer mask and then brush around the edges .... to add a 'glow' around the fish either copy fish layer then increase its size add gaussian blur (make sure this layer is under original fish layer) or use the layer styles to put your own drop shadow in ... now that's the short explanation which may confuse if it does let us know and will give more detailed info :)

Thanks namvet . . . again!!! The fish is separate, thanks for looking at it.

I think that I understand. I'll be playing with it tonight after work; erasing the shadow and working with the glow.

Hopefully I will have a "glowing" report!

Sallie

sal4gal .. just a few 'hints' in image below ... I suggest that you make a duplicate of the fish before you start ... as a back up ... good luck :perfect:

Good grief, namvet you are amazing! I am at work pretending that I am working very hard on a project, hehe! I just had to sneak a peek and here is another tutorial. I can't wait to play tonight.

Another question! The photo is a jpeg. Should I have converted it to a Tiff before using it? I know that jpeg's are lossy and I am continually saving my work as I go along. Does photoshop somehow solve that problem once it is imported to the program?

Sallie

sal4gal:rofl: :rofl: .. I just remember my first post here at PSG in March last year .. it was "how do I make gold" :) ... and I was helped alot ... then I got busy and eventually returned to PSG in September, read heaps of posts, did tutorials, asked questions, just as you are ... I just try to remember to keep it simple and easy :)
... now about "lossy" and jpg vs tiff .. that's outside of my knowledge area ... so we will both have to wait for someone else to 'teach' us about that :D
... keep posting your questions/results ... the 'teachers' learn everytime they 'teach' ... oh, and btw, when you have completed your image and before you 'flatten' your layers make a duplicate of the file, just in case someone here suggests a change or two ... it's handy sometimes to be able to go back to the layers file (the psd file) :perfect:

Thanks namvet! :} BTW, how is the lamb's mother doing?

Ok, your last post/suggestion brought up another question. You mentioned flattening. Should I have flattened before making the jpeg to post here? This is all so confusing :(| that I hardly even know the questions to ask ;\ !

:) Sallie

sal4gal wrote:
Should I have flattened before making the jpeg to post here?
.. re: posting on this board - as a general rule you need to use jpg to post here (gif for animated) and the file size can't exceed 150kb (width shouldn't be more than 600 pixels) ... now a tif or psd image (layered images) can't posted here for viewing, file would be too large ... that's why I suggested you make a duplicate of your psd file, keep one, flatten the other for posting ... lamb and mum are both ok thanks :)

Thanks again, namvet! I erased the shadow, that was easy :D . I am still working of the glow effect, that is harder [confused] . But it is fun trying :D .

I also practiced flattening and getting the kb's down below 150.

Thanks millions for your pictures and explanations. :} :}

Sallie

About lossy:

A digital image is like a mosaic of small units called pixels. Each of this pixels has a specific place, and also a specific colour. So your puter remembers its place, and its values in Red, Green and Blue. If you're working in RGB mode that is.

A bit of math: an image of 300 pixels wide and 200 pixels high contains 300x200=60.000pixels. Each pixels has three values: an R, a G and a B value, so your file will be some 60.000x3=180.000 bytes large. This is approximately 180KB.

If you save it as a psd (photoshop's native) or a tiff, it will be this size.

This is a lot for such a small image, so people developed several ways to make the file smaller. One is to zip it. Another one is to use the GIF format. Gif compresses, but is limited to a set of 256 colours. PNG's newer version isn't, but it is still rather large in filesize. That's why it still isn't popular.

So, for photographers, and people placing photographic images or paintings on their website, another solution had to be found. This is called JPG or jaypeg. What JPG does, is simplify your image, based on an observation that people don't always see the difference. Pixels that resemble one another, like in the clouds of a sky, are grouped into small units of the same RG and B values. This makes the filesize smaller as instead of having to remember each pixel, the puter memory can say: "that group, those values". As there are less groups, there is less information to be remembered, and the filesize is smaller. It even allows you to set the quality, meaning how accurate, or less accurate the pixels have to resemble one-another to become part of the group. You'll notice that even at maximum quality, the filesize is smaller.

When there are sharp transitions, like a sharp outline of a text, this method is less effective and the grouping beciomes visible as artefacts. This is a disadvantage.

But the biggest disadvantage is this: once the pixels of your image have been grouped by the jpg method, their individuality is lost and cannot be recuperated. You have a smaller filesize, but at the expense of losing information and quality. That's why jpg is called "lossy".

So if ever you have to work on a jpg, start by using the Save As option to change it into a psd or tiff. This way, when saving it you won't loose more info than necessary. If you have to save it again as jpg, then the file will undergo the same procedure, and you will loose even more information/quality as more pixels will be considered as being close enough in resemblance to be considers as having one and the same value.

sal4gal ... good that you're making progress .. any probs with the next bit, just ask ... there's heaps of help at this board :)

thanks for that Erik ... actually thanks, never seems to be adequate 'cos you take the time to explain, clearly and at length :} :} :D

Great guidance namvet! :perfect:

And Erik, fabulous explanation on these various image types! :}

thank you. it because of people asking questions that I learn to understand and realise the gaps.

Don't forget that it is a bit simplified. The real details I don't need to remember as I'm not a teacher. I can look them up any time I wish with google for example. [innocent]

Thanks Erik,
You mentioned to save the jpeg to psd. Should I do that prior to inserting in a layer? Or . . . the first time that I do a Ctrl + S in the project will the jpeg automatically be converted to psd?

Thanks, I know that I am asking a very basic question, but I have not been able to find the answer in any reading.

Sallie

Hi sal4gal! :)

You could, if you wanted to, save the jpeg to a PSD (Photoshop) format after you open it, but I don't see the point. Usually, people save their Photoshop files in their native state, once they've made any kind of a change to the original image. ;)

The first time that you do "save", a dialogue box will pop up and offer you numerous "save" options. PSD/PDD is the native Photoshop format. Once you choose to save your file as this, each and every time that you use the "save" option on that particular file, from thereon in, Photoshop will automatically update and save (overwriting it) in this very same format.

It's definitely a good practice to get into the habit of saving frequently, while working on a big project... certainly after any time-consuming and important changes have been made to the file. We all have "horror stories" around here to bring this point home. [innocent]

Hi Sal4Gal Glad to see you are still in the game and trying. That's all it takes to learn this stuff. Lots of effort.

Did you still have a questions about TIFF vs JPG. After you have flatten your work and are ready to save, and you intend to use the image both on the internet and print, you save the same image in any of the below formats depending on what you want to do with that image.

(1) JPG format is written in RBG is used for computer transfer mostly per Eriks explaination regarding bitmap.

(2) GIF format is written Indexing colors and can hold a transparencies. Its vector but don't worry about the reasons now. You can learn that later.

(2) TIFF format is in CMYK and is used for printing.

There are many other formats but for now, these are the ones that will serve you best. Someone mentioned PNG, stay away from that for now because it has huge file sizes.

Decisions, decisions, decisions, Have fun!
--Joy

Just a quick question...

After you have flatten your work and are ready to save

Joy, (and others), whilst I have been using photoshop for a while now, I have never really understood the reason for flattening. I certainly don't flatten my work and then save. Should I? Is there a purpose in doing this? [confused] ;\

Back