What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's better for airbrushing a face: Gaussian Blur filter or Reduce Noise filter?

Albobo

Not too sure what the technical differences are between the two nor could I find an answer on Google...

So, which is better for a professional airbrushing quality that doesn't look too plastic? I was taught to use the Gaussian Blur filter on the color channel that had the worst skin quality, so I'm not sure if that also applies when using the Reduce Noise filter. Clarification there would help too.

Thanks in advance :D!

EDIT: Oops, I think this should've gone into the PS Newbies forum. How do I move it...?

Last edited:
In nearly all cases Gaussian Blur is going to work better for what you are asking, it will give you a more uniform look.

Another thing I like to do is. I like to duplicate layers and use Gaussian Blur with a high radius setting, then change the blending mode of that layer (different modes for different instances, but usually something like soft light), and bring down he opacity of the layer. It adds a nice soft look to faces and soft light blending mode "densifies" the colors.

I agree, Gaussian blur will be better for this...

Gaussian... GREAT TIP... I just tried this on a portrait Duplicate Layer --> Gaussian Blur --> Layer Blending Mode: Soft Light --> Layer Opacity: 20% and it ads a really nice effect! Thanks!

This is ok in the General Photoshop board, no need to move it.

Albobo, feel free to post up a pic of what you are working on or showing the desired result you are trying to achieve and we can take a look and maybe give you more tips. I know there's some talented retoucher's here.

This is my finished product (well, I actually had another version before this, but since then I have learned a lot more, including Gaussian's subtle yet awesome advice):

(edit: I improved it a bit)
Albert RT 2.jpg

The nose and the left eye are still a bit too glowy / hazy. The lips are bordering on that too, but whatever. What would be the best way to fix that? Smart Sharpen/Unmask Sharpen filter over only those problem areas?

Also, the forehead is a bit too plastic. How do I add back in tiny little pores to give it a little texture (as can be seen on the right side of the face)?

Last edited:
You can try playing with Dodge/Burn tools for those areas where light is an issue.... just do it on a duplicated layer while you experiment.

Unsharp Mask may help with those detail areas... play with the settings.

Re: What's better for airbrushing a face: Gaussian Blur filter or Reduce Noise filter

I second the Gaussian Blur. I'm a total newbie and whenever I use simple noise reduction, the face starts looking very artificial, with GB I can get a really nice effect.

Back