What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats the best and easiest way to "spruce" up a picture?

rassilon

I took about 250 pictures at an awards banquet and they listed about 30 or 40 pictures they was to make 8x10s of but they want me to "pretty" them up. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to even begin? I have spent almost a week just trying different filters on the pictures and that just looks like putting lipstick on a pig. I have attached a few of the pictures in case someone might have some ideas. If I need to get a certain plugin or two then that is fine.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0339-1.jpg
    IMG_0339-1.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0321-1.jpg
    IMG_0321-1.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 11
Well that all depends on what software you have ie photoshop cs5 , elements or lightroom.
What your timescale is or how much time your prepared to spend on each image.
Hence I am asking if you have lightroom as that lets you edit 1 image but apply the same editing to all your pictures at a click of a button.

As a photography point of view and all the time in the world to work on them ideally from the examples shown for me it would be complete background replacement they are all to busy (to much distracting elements in the background) and then do colour and exposure correction.

But obviously that is a lot of work and may take away the feel of the images you have.

Fast response and i do appreciate it. The location was not my choice, it was actually the only spot available and they setup the room to take pictures with that background and I found out when I got there. I have already found out how difficult it is to edit them. I was thinking of a slight blur of the background to focus more on the people but not sure.

As for software, I have Photoshop CS5.1 and Lightroom 3 with Red Giant and onOne plugins for both.

I would go for a blur but be careful if you blur it to much you will get an obvious halo around them.
if your prepared to spend 10 mins on each picture depending on your speed of course you could go for something like this but mask it out better than me
IMG_0339-1.png

That was only done flashing over in quick mask mode but if your willing to spend some time on it and do the edges it is quite simple to do.

I rather like the idea of putting a blur on the backgrounds, though you'd want to be careful about doing too much as the BG is pretty close. As for lighting adjustments, you can apply the same edits in the Bridge program, but your lighting isn't the same for all anyway, though I imagine most are. But you have Lightroom so I guess you're set there.

What do your clients mean by "pretty them up" anyway?

I think I have finally stopped giggling over "lipstick on a pig."

That was a very good solution Data. And very nice of you to make the video, that extra mile members always remember (I remember the 1st one made for me ... by Hoogle in fact).

for starters I would lessen the contrast a bit, the shadows are too dark on the faces and clothes. (not so much on the first one though)

then go back to the client and ask them what do they mean by "pretty it up".. they need to be more specific and tell you exactly what they want you to do or they're wasting your time

for starters I would lessen the contrast a bit, the shadows are too dark on the faces and clothes. (not so much on the first one though)

then go back to the client and ask them what do they mean by "pretty it up".. they need to be more specific and tell you exactly what they want you to do or they're wasting your time

Sorry, I did ask them about prettying it up and basically make it look better in general. Use various filters like a Glamor Shots. Its no client or even anything i'm being paid for. This is doctors at a medical facility i work at during a recent banquet. They asked me to take pictures since they know i take sports pictures for a local TV station. The main difference is that i am used to action shots and this was my first time doing portraits. On top of that, i never had to use filters on pictures before other that the odd B&W or HDR look.

I have been trying for 2 days now to make an Action from what Data posted, thank you sooo much btw. I was mainly referring to making an action from the point where you make the 3 new layers and then the actions for those layers. My attempts just keep screwing up the picture by either way to bright or no change at all. Anyone have any advice on a correct way to perhaps making an action to do the task I was referring to? I checked out a few videos on it and it appears easy but just didn't seem to work for me.

Thank you in advance.

I have been trying for 2 days now to make an Action from what Data posted, t

Rassilon, it may be a good idea for you to start a new thread with actions in the title. That will attract the attention of those who can help you. You can provide a link back to your original post if you think that will help.

If your not opposed to the idea, you might try to recompose the shots. I think the background is too busy. I blurred and desaturated the background just a little bit and sharpend and lightend the couple in the photo.
IMG_0321-1 copy.jpg
1.jpg
My masking does need a bit more work but you get the idea.

Back