What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the simple crop tool?

OhGod

What the heck happened to Photoshop? I had not used it in about six years, and now, I swear, I feel as if I need a degree to do so.

I have an image I would like to cut sections FROM. So .... I look for the crop tool, but I see that they are already in predetermined sizes. What??? I keep looking further and come across something that looks promising, BUT I want to cut something OUT, and it leaves me with the thing I wanted to crop OUT, and makes everything else disappear. Am I going bananas? I would take it into Pixlr or something simple, but it is a .dds image and I only have Photoshop to open it in. :( I am so lost. Can someone PLEASE just point me to a simple tool which might help me cut out sections of an image which I do not want?

Thank you.

OhGod

I honestly feel like crying. Did Photoshop change, or am I getting dumb?

Screw it. The project I'm working on isn't worth me feeling like I need an entire manual for what used to be a simple action.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome.

The Crop Tool itself is exactly where it's been located forever.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 7.59.13 AM.png

I am so lost. Can someone PLEASE just point me to a simple tool which might help me cut out sections of an image which I do not want?
Sure. Please post the image you're working with and tell us exactly what you want removed..

The technique we use to isolate particular subjects or objects is called "selection". We can make a selection of say a dog, then we can copy and paste that selection to it's own layer or we can use layer mask....etc. Just depends on what you're wanting.

Did Photoshop change,
No.

Screw it. The project I'm working on isn't worth me feeling like I need an entire manual for what used to be a simple action.
No need to read manuals. If you've ever had the skill to do what you're wanting, it's still there. Photoshop has changed slightly, but the basic set of core tools are exactly where they have always been.

We need to see exactly what you want to do.

Ucan

Press C for crop actually i think you meant masking ? Well the simplest one i know is with pen tool (P) , press and press in another place and hold to adjust the shape of the pen line . Do it till it close the subject that you want .

After that press right mouse, press make a selection and copy it than put into another layer ( ctrl N , enter ) than delete or hide the another layer