What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where to find photographer and a retoucher

Navid Hekmat

I was trying freelancer to find a photographer and a retoucher, but does anyone know about a site that can offer more options?

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
I was trying freelancer to find a photographer and a retoucher, but does anyone know about a site that can offer more options?
Please provide more information. Are you needing a photographer in Norway? We have photographers and re-touchers here but I can't say right off about your country.

Tom Mann

Guru
I'm quite sure you would get a lot more responses in any forum that you post to if you provide some definitive information.

To be blunt, a lot of pros won't even bother responding to a solicitation like yours that currently lacks essentially all the basic information. This is because they assume it's from an amateur with only a vague idea / hope, and/or no real knowledge of the business.

If this is the case, it's OK -- but just state it up front, and you'll then get responses from a whole different class of photographers who otherwise might have been scared to respond, assuming that the job was way over their head.

So, +1 to "what industry", and +1 to "location", but also:

1. More specifically, what is the subject matter? Tiny electronics, bottles of beverage, clothing, no-clothing (ie, nudes), portraits, architecture, events, big items like cars, etc.?

2. What is the largest final size? For the web (ie, for which my DSLR would be just fine), or billboards on the side of the road (ie, for which the photographer should really have a Phase 1, Leaf, scanning back for a LF camera, etc.).

3. What's the intended distribution? Personal / artistic use? Just your store's website? World-wide multi-media ad campaign?

4. What sort of working / business relationship you would like to have with this photographer? Work-for-hire (ie, you pay, but he turns over copyright)? Artistic collaboration (ie, minimal or no pay)? He licenses a few of his images to you? etc., etc.

5. What is the duration of the gig? A job for an evening in a location that's inconvenient for you to travel to? A 6 month relationship for an advertising campaign with an art director, storyboards, focus groups, pilot trial releases of the material for effectiveness, the whole 9 yards?

6. The term "concept" can mean a lot of *very* different things when it comes to creatives. Can you provide some links to examples of the sort of thing you are looking for.

HTH,

Tom M

Thank you Tom.

Your explanations are very extensive and most options are covered. Hope the OP will appreciate you effort.
It has unfortunately become a trend in the forum to ask questions that are quite inaccurate and sometimes insignificant, in the hope that someone will try with targeted questions to solve their problems.

Regard Chris.

Navid Hekmat

Damn..i have used an hour to write this reply and when i click on reply it got gone. I must write again :(.

Navid Hekmat

Thank you Tom.

Your explanations are very extensive and most options are covered. Hope the OP will appreciate you effort.
It has unfortunately become a trend in the forum to ask questions that are quite inaccurate and sometimes insignificant, in the hope that someone will try with targeted questions to solve their problems.

Regard Chris.

I really appreciate Toms answers and the effort he used to to this forum.. He gives detail replies beyond to what i am used to. Such a joy, but sometimes also kinda scaring when he replies..because he has so much knowlegde and you feel a little bit "dumb" haha.
Chris, your replies are truly respected too. Your version of that living room you provided opened up my eyes a lot. So both of you thank you.

I was honestly just asking here without thinking that their would be anyone here. Just thought that this is a only a forum without any commercial help. But i will try to be more specific and provide more details

My profession has been in selling photographic equipments to photographer here in norway..a job i feel i have had great success in terms of business. The last months i have been aiming more and more towards portrait photography. I know photoshop and lighting setups, but i want to get that extra finish or punches on my work. Sometimes it is not easy to see solutions when you are working with something...and i am that kind of a person who gets skills, advices and knowlegde from others and create my own work. I am not afraid of asking for help or stubborn. I personally believe thats how you can develop in what you are doing, by learning from others and work hard..but most of all i really enjoy this. Most people i know run the path alone or without actually seing there mistakes. I try to think broader and think beyond that..as much as having a wider perspective on things.

I watch Phlearn a lot on youtube and really love his work and skills..so i learn fast. One of the works i like here in norway is this guy: http://jenshaugen.no/. In my mind, this is how i allways wanted results of photography to be.

Most photographers here in norway put out their pics on their own profiles and get "ohh you are so great photographer" bla bla comments. And those who reply you are amateurs, or they dont know anything about photography and lighting. It all ends up with thinking that you are great, but you are not. Kinda fake input. The level of photography here is so so.

The cooperation i am looking for is based on giving tips and advices, both in photography and photoshop..through both skype and teamviewer. A long term relationship where i could pay him weekendly or so. It can be for example a tip for my next shoot or a "punch" of my final picture..just like what chris provided for me with that living room. I am developing a portfolio and i know that it takes time. But since this allways have been my passion and journey..i was thinking about asking here and share that journey with someone else. People who work with me, such as my developer for my website has also become a friend of me. So this is really really important. Not just work or business.

The terms of concept i referred to is the way it is on freelancer..where you bid. But just forget that.

I think that cleared up some questions .

Regards Navid.

Tom Mann

Guru
Hi Navid -

Thank you for the very kind words. I am preparing for a shoot tonight, so I can't respond until very late tonight.

Best regards,

Tom M