What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which software was used for this

gautamz07

Power User
Above the book , all those beautiful illustrations , how were they made , i mean using which software or tools , Illustrations like these i have seen i very useful and effective in communicating a certain point . Would they need to be hand drawn (which would be slightly out of my scope) or is there any software thats makes the job easier ? .

I am just asking how it was created , not how to do it ? or what are these kind of illustrations called ?

Thank you .

Gautam.

6a00e55002645d88340168eb7e7fbc970c.jpg

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
There are many ways this can be done, it's hard to tell which method was used here.

I think you can call the style "hand drawn" or "sketched".

One way is to use a pen/tablet such as a Wacom and actually draw it by hand. This would be the fastest method for someone who has experience with sketching. You get a transparent background so the sketch can easily be overlaid on an image like this one of the book.

There are also loads of 'royalty free' stock sketches like this from various sources, so if you don't want to sketch it yourself you could acquire the sketches and overlay them on your image.

I think this image may actually be from a stock image library, but it's already complete with the book.

There are also programs that are designed to create sketches that are commonly used for wireframing mockups, such as Balsamiq. There may be similar programs or apps to create other styles of sketches, but personally I'm not familiar with any.

dv8_fx

Retired Administrator
Just add... If you have a tablet you can manually do that. The trick is to follow whatever curvature that exists in the base image or imaginary perpective lines of the image to blend the drawing or create the "illusion" as if it's part of or coming out of the image.

MrToM

Guru
Do a search for 'clipart'.

These used to be the most common way to display images on web pages, before the development of browsers and the ability to display real photographs.

Most will be in colour, but it's pretty easy to turn them into B+W if you need to....and then remove the background.
Most will use solid colour only as way back in the days when these were initially made gradients were very hard to do.
Being an old format you should be able to find many variations for any given theme, meaning a high probability of finding what you want.

As these images were primarily for use on websites there is usually no restriction on their use, but of course always check first or just search for those images that can be used without limitation to start with. (In case you didn't know Google image search wil do this).

Regards.
MrTom.

gautamz07

Power User
admin thanks for the idea , wht i understand is , if i already have an image of which i want a illustration , i can use that as a base and draw an illustration . Also , i was not aware of the online tools available for drawing sketches . Thanks for the elaborate explanation though .

@ Div Good idea too , but i don't have a tablet :( :( :(

@Mr Tom , Actually yes i was thinking more from a web prespective :) and what u said , is smthing i've never tried . Thank you .

nachofrades

Try to draw with a pencil, scan it, and draw with paths... if you don't have a tablet this is the best way to do it manually, if you find cliparts better!

(Or just draw in paper, scan and select the pencil with "Magic Wand" and mix it, it would be an interesting result.)

gautamz07

Power User
nachofrades thanks for your reply , actually i am jst such a newbie to graphics , i sometimes look around and see things and wonder ! how was that created :D

btw , i snooped on ur website nachofrades and ur art is soo Unique :D fantastic :D

nachofrades

I have been thinking about this and it's more simple than I explained. There is no need, of wacom tablet, paper and pencil, nor selecting blacks.

I assume you know to do each pass, I'm on the phone.

- Draw your stuff with "paths" tool.
- Use "Stroke path" with the desired brush.

It's quite simple...

nachofrades

In the computer now...

Select Paint Tool, and then Brush and color (It works better with a round brush).

01.jpg

Now Select Path Tool

02.jpg

New Layer and draw your shape with the tool ( you can use a scanned pencil if you want but not neccesary).

03.jpg

Go to "Paths" Window.

04.jpg

Right click when done and select "brush".

05.jpg

Result, As you have it in a trasparent Layer you can use it for all purposes...

06.jpg

Hope it helps you... :mrgreen:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is crazy man! James (admin) answered your question with the easiest solution in the second post.

admin said:
One way is to use a pen/tablet such as a Wacom and actually draw it by hand. This would be the fastest method for someone who has experience with sketching. You get a transparent background so the sketch can easily be overlaid on an image like this one of the book.

Create a new transparent layer above the book image.

Select your BRUSH TOOL. Use a small hard brush set to black. You do not need a tablet for this, you can use your mouse.

Draw.

It's that easy!

This was done very fast using the mouse.

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 9.26.23 AM.png