What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows Vista B2

?tr??k, StatBar and Desktop X are two totally different programs, so I don't understand why you compare the two.
Yes, and no. DesktopX can do all the things StatBar can do and more. The are endless amounts of widgets and themes for just about everything. http://www.wincustomize.com/Skins.aspx?LibID=3 Just check it out and you'll see. System info, weather, clocks, calendars, meters, calculator, anything.
"StatBar comes with 6 different color schemes and 19 information modules, allowing you to monitor and control various aspects of your system."
Woop-de-doo.

p?tr??k said:
Yes, and no. DesktopX can do all the things StatBar can do and more. The are endless amounts of widgets and themes for just about everything. http://www.wincustomize.com/Skins.aspx?LibID=3 Just check it out and you'll see. System info, weather, clocks, calendars, meters, calculator, anything.
"StatBar comes with 6 different color schemes and 19 information modules, allowing you to monitor and control various aspects of your system."
Woop-de-doo.

P?tr??k, I know what Desktop X is.

Let me give you same background info. For the last 20 years I?ve been an application programmer and later an administrator for IBM mainframes and Microsoft based networks. If you?ve done this work like me for all that time (actually I work with computers for close to 30 years), you?ll learn that what is important for a company is not applications that have the ?cute? factor, but applications that reduce costs. With that background I?ve learned to look beyond the pretty picture.

Desktop X is for me nothing but an application with the ?cute? factor; it?s not free, it makes your computer slower, it uses more memory, especially with more than a handful of widgets, makes other parts of the operating system less reliable, offers a lot of shiny stuff I don?t need, uses a lot of desktop space so often you hide it, etc.

I don?t want something I simply don?t need and neither do I feel the need to download a 35MB iTunes installation file just to listen to my audio, when I can do the same with a 260KB XMPlayer that according to most audio experts sounds better than most MP3 players out there.
And even if I have to do tagging, then nothing beats a program like Better File Rename and the free The Godfather, both not even around 1MB.

So feel free to continue looking at the shiny rims of that well painted car and its leather seats and 7 speakers stereo, while I open the hood and look at the engine.? B7 :D

Dang Gaussian, that is a good reply. I really like it. 20 years as a application programer? You make big bucks; can I be your friend? [excited] :rofl: :rofl:

- Al

So feel free to continue looking at the shiny rims of that well painted car and its leather seats and 7 speakers stereo, while I open the hood and look at the engine.
Ok, I see your point.

Nothing wrong with Shiny rims :D

But if you want to choose performance over oohs and ahhs then it's best without the costly shiny rims :p
(I'm repeating you Guassian, I think it sounds cool) :D

Some update concerning the Xmplay media player I mentioned earlier; lots of good things to say about that program, but the default reverb and equalizer are very poorly implemented. It sounds pretty good with certain songs, but with some songs it totally loses control and makes the music sound distorted, even at low settings.

The Ozone plugin didn't impress me either; too complicated and too easy to mess up the sound when you don't use presets. With the free Enhancer 0.17 (which seems to be pretty popular) I even heard some faint clicks in some parts of specific songs, clicks I didn't hear with the plugin turned off. Also the music starts too sound too "computerized".

Xmplay itself sounds good as long as you turn all the extra features off.

As an alternative I've choosen DFX for Winamp ( http://www.fxsound.com/ ) which also works with Xmplay (if you know how to fool the installation of DFX). I had excellent results with DFX when I was still using Winamp, but now in combination with Xmplay it works even better. I threw country, rock, jazz, pop and classical music at it (all of them with at least 192 bit rate) and it all sounded amazing, no distortion at all and a beautifull full and natural sound. Better is to use a good stereo instead, but for people like me with small speakers and a? bass reflex box it's a major improvement.? :)

Back