What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Wine glass? Is it possible?

canadada

Hello all, Need some advice/help to photoshop the attached image. Looking for SIMILAR sunset IDEA ~ but with a long stem wine glass in the foreground. ~ Can any help? Kindly note, I am not a photoshop guru :) ~ Thank you. A1660460-07D6-41CB-9ABE-4CC3664344A0.jpeg

I decided to take a stab at this. Here's the final result, but you asked for advice/help on how to do it, so I'm going to try to explain it below. (No screenshots, sorry; I don't have Adobe Photoshop.)
wine glass thing.jpg
Find a png of a wine glass with a blank white background. Bring it onto the sunset image, then change the blend mode of the glass to Multiply to remove the white.

Duplicate the Sunset layer (but make sure the wine glass is still on top of them both). You don't want to lose track of which is which, so rename them to "inGlass" and "Background" (Background should be on the bottom). The inGlass layer will be what you see inside the wine glass, and the Background layer will be the background.

Select the inGlass layer, and disable the background layer for now. (To disable a layer, click the eye icon next to the layer name.) Move and scale the layer to how it should appear inside the glass. If it goes outside the edges of the glass, that's okay; we'll deal with that later, but make sure the entire area of the glass is filled.

Disable inGlass and re-enable Background. (You should now have the original sunset layer, which has not been moved or resized.) Add a Gaussian Blur effect to this layer and customize it to your liking.
Re-enable inGlass, and use the Pen tool to trace the outline of the wine glass (stop at the water line, if there is one).

Once you have traced all the way around and closed the shape, make sure the inGlass layer is selected, and use the pen shape as a layer mask.

I don't use Photoshop, I use a different program called Affinity Photo. However, everything should still be the same in Photoshop, if I remember correctly. I hope this makes sense and I wish you good luck!

Argos, Great effort! ~ Love the gentle tonal values of the first, but the atmosphere does create quite a different mood. ~ The second is closer to what I was after, but the balance between foreground & background seems a bit off. Wondering, if its even possible, that it might be better if the layer of flock of birds was denser & larger, and the layer of the horizon line smoother, more like a water-line horizon, as attached. That layer might need some saturation to pop the colour. The colour values in yours was bang on. ~ Thank you! 7C6B8FAA-9DC3-416D-A175-5571E1C6EBBE.jpeg

Last edited:

Back