What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

won't stop opening PS

James

ok when i installed ps 6 i set all the graphic file types to open ps when they are opened...

if i get an e-mailed .jpg from a friend and i download it, open it, up comes ps instead of just and explorer window

if i save a .bmp from a game or from a web site, same thing double cliick and photoshop not mspaint

i screwed this up and now my wife wants to kill me she hates waiting for ps to open

how do i change them or reset them to factory

[confused] [confused] [confused] [confused] [confused] [confused]

go to windows explorer, Tools/file options/file types and scroll down till you find BMP File, then highlight it. next, click change then scroll down in that new window till you find MS Paint, highlight it and hit ok. :)

Should we worry people if James doesn't reply anymore..... [confused]

But we know who did it...the WIFE! :rofl: :rofl:

*hides from wife*

bob couldn't find anything, but that may be my lack of pc skills. went to (using explorer) C:/WINDOWS/TOOLS and the only thing there was a folder called "MESSAGE" inside that 4 files nothing like what you discribed

Just in case i went to C:/Program Files/Adobe/Photoshop 6.0
and no "Tool" folders there. I didn't know enough about the guts of PS to just go searching through each folder...

I did find, under the "Start" button in "Settings", "folder options"
but .jpg is set for open by "IEXPLORE", but it doesn't

also i could find a "BMP" for bitmaps, or anything that looked like it would be that

Gaussian: my will is on the harddrive in the My Documents folder called "wifedidit.doc" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: [stuned]

James, first things first; put me in your will :D

And second...here's a solution for windows Win2k/XP.
Sadly enough you didn't mention which operating system you're using [confused]
In win95/98/me option "open with" is not visible in the contect menu, but if you SHIFT + right click on a BMP file, it should be available however. From there on it shouldn't be much different compared to Win2k/XP

Good luck!

Gaus... excellent response/help there! :perfect:. I really commend you for
a) the knowledge
and
b) the time that you take to assist those in need!

:perfect: again!

Let's hope that James sorts this one out.

Yep G-Man is correct! I did this when I installed pshop for the first time. Simple fix, if you are using Windows. Windows explorer, right click on the file, open with, pick program and all is well. ( with your computer and the wife:D )

*bows @ G's feet*

DUDE! it worked and now I can sleep with both eyes closed...:rofl:
Just a question if i may pester the group...
I set .jpg for explorer, .bmp for mspaint (simple nuff)
what about .gif and some of the other common files

win 98 btw yeah lil late.... [oops]

*dances off into the sunset laughing, with his "Gaussian Rules" t-shirt on*

Hi James!

Nice to see that you got your "situation" resolved! ;)

For what it's worth, IE opens my common jpg and gif files... it's really your preference. :)

I think it's better to view all graphic files with the same program (always same interface to work with!), in my example ACDSee but there are many other programs that will do and if you need to edit instead you start start the program you need.
It's that you either view OR edit a file and the extra step to open the file in a program like Photoshop, MS Paint doesn't make that much of a difference, because whatever method you choose, you still need to browse to the right directory. In a file viewer like ACDsee you can assign all graphics files to that program and then you're done. I think you're making it yourself too complicated if you assign multiple graphic files to more than one program.

Just my 2 cents :\

good points

thanks u 2...
*takes many notes*

...this site rules...:perfect:

Back