What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wood effect

A Squarecan

Hey guys I know I have scene and tried a few tuts. on making wood, but I think this guy has done a great job!
blood.jpg

Sorry for what the picture is actually of. But what did he do differntly then all the other tuts. I have read? I am trying to get a real glossy smooth wood like that.

Any ideas.

P.s. So I am not robbin his work with out credit.

Joost Egelie
Genieskensstraat 54
3630 Leut-Maasmechelen
Belgium

Just so everyone is happy :perfect:

Off the top of my head, (hee hee hee)

It looks like the artist used chrome to get the wavy woodgrain bands. Probably set the blend mode to multiply. Otherwise, it looks like regular photoshop wood.

I played around a while with chrome. Used scale to stretch the width out, wind and motion blur completed it.

That looks really good!

Big rookie question here. When I always have made wood in the past I get it look pretty good, but how did you accomplish the black grain in the wood?

Thanks
Keith

Try duplicating the wood layer and setting the duplicate on Multiply blend mode.

Either that, or use the Levels filter to darken the dark areas.

What theKeeper said. Can't stump that guy for anything...

:p

Thanks for the feed back on that [excited] I am going to see what I can do .

Thanks! :perfect:
Keith

I like the wood Rick but why the -- [confused] -- smilie?

(PSD) sergiy

Hey Rick :D ?
I bet you like all of the Wood stuff :perfect:

Hey guys,

I went and played with a few differnt things, still dont have it exacly how i wanted it, but here is my final result.

48442720.jpg

a digital sketch of my self.

Keith

(PSD) Sergiy Interesting. Is this from a third party filter?

A Squarecan I just saw your pic post. We have to be here at the same time. So... Tag! You're it! :D *runs toward the coffee lounge*

By the way, if it isn't what you want then you are not finished. :p

I guess your right moth lol.

I am not unhappy with it I was just hoping for differnt results, I know how I can change it though. I need to work on the sketch and pencil, the pencil needs some work and the sketch still needs to be cleaned up a little. Amazingly that picture looks just like me, I was going use the "hand drawn" tutiour, but it couldn't recall where I aw it, plus I had time to spend.

I have 3 college finals today 8} [oops] [confused] and then I am home for 2 weeks, but I will work in it some more sometime soon, maybe lol [excited]

Keith

Oooo ooooo...my pencil pic has been waiting to make an encore appearance. Hate to miss this boat :D

If I remember correctly I grabbed the wood texture from a Home Design app that was in a bargain bin.

Rich

PSD

My personal sugestion is that, if you will take any kind of Wood
Texture and give it little of "Median" or even a "Contrast" than
Motion Blurr it. It will get a kind of closely to 3D look :)

Re: PSD

(PSD) Sergiy said:
My personal sugestion is that, if you will take any kind of Wood
Texture and give it little of "Median" or even a "Contrast" than
Motion Blurr it. It will get a kind of closely to 3D look :)

:D I played around with some contrast and motion blurs, I wouldn't say it looks 3D but it sure gave me more of a color I was looking for :}

Thanks
Keith 8))

Wood

I read your post yesterday about wanting wood. I notice that a lot of us are always asking for realistic wood grain. I happened to find an excellet tutorial on making wood grain with (what I think) is a really unique technique. She uses gradients on multiple layers, desaturates them then sets them to soft light with a slight wave filter applied randomly to each layer. The effect is a.) simple and b.) really nice.

Here is a link to Pegaweb where Daniel Piechnick offers this and other interesting tutorials.

http://www.pegaweb.com/tutorials/woodtexture/adobe-photoshop-wood-texture.htm

Here's what I created (in about 1 1/2 minutes using the tutorial.

Hope it helps 8))

Neolite

Back