What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Working with large projects

toddhd

Hi all,

I just got a new job doing web development. They asked me at the interview if I knew enough Photoshop to do some basic stuff - crop, resize, export images. I thought I did, but the Photoshop files they are working with are really huge. Whole websites are laid out in thousands of layers, and those layers are organized into layer groups, but not always as logically as one might expect/hope.

Anyway, here's what I'm needing to do, and I was really hoping there might be a magical, easy way to accomplish this...

The website is oriented into boxes/sections/modules - call 'em what you will - and each module has info in it. I really just need to select the one section and either create a new project consisting of just those layers, or a way to export just those layers.

So for example, can I... use the select tool, lasso an area with it, then tell PS3 to "give me all the layers of whatever I lasso'd" and then save them out somewhow? Does that make sense?

If that isn't possible, then I suppose my only real option is to selectively hide every layer group/layer one at a time until only what I want is left, and export that to work with it. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help you can offer a total noob. Please be gentle, I know I'm a noob.

Back