What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellowish tint while viewing images in Photoshop

When I open a file in Photoshop, it appears more yellow than when I view it in any other location, including while saving the file in Photoshop (preview in Save for Web). This is obviously problematic, as making color adjustments according to what my eye sees on the screen is thrown out the window after I save the file.

If you look at the linked photo (Flickr Photo Download: Untitled-1), you can see clearly that the image on the left is more yellow. The image on the right is the "Save for Web" preview image. If I save this file in any fashion, it appears more blue as in the image on the right.

Which leads me to my quandary of why an image would appear more yellow while viewed in Photoshop. Any assistance or suggestions (solutions?) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

digikamman

I too noticed this when working in Bridge and PS. I'm trying to find out how to coordinate the color between the two. The settings seem to be the same so I'm puzzeld as to why the colors are off in PS. I think the problem is with PS because the White swatch in the color picker appears to be faded and leaning towards a yellow tint. I hope someone can help.

I've checked the color settings before, and it has been RGB 8bit as expected. However, another strange aspect to this is that it's not consistently repeatable.

I don't do a lot of color space adjusting, so it seems that whatever is happening is intermittent. Of course, it's hard to troubleshoot this without more concrete evidence. I'll keep an eye out next time I see this phenomenon and take note of everything I can.

Are there any other bits of info that could be helpful in diagnosing the problem?

Thanks,
Nick

and about the monitor calibration, etc. my monitor seems fine. But I'm not sure that it is relevant in this situation, as the color discrepancy is visible between two images on the same monitor. So even if my monitor were screwed up, the problematic discrepancy seems to exist somewhere between opening or saving a file in PS.

thanks for your suggestions though.

peace,
nick

some more dets on the color discrepancy issue

had a series of pictures show up yellowed again yesterday (see attached '11' for example). they were in RGB 8-bit
color mode was sRGB
tried changing to Adobe (1998) with no effect

strangely enough, I've tried opening some of the same files again today and they show up normally! (see attached '13')
color mode was Adobe (1998)
tried changing to sRGB with no effect

The only difference I can think of is that I'm not hooked up to a secondary monitor today, and I was yesterday. I don't know of any reason that should make a difference, but I'll try testing it later.

confused and a bit frustrated,
peace!
Nick

Attachments

• Screen 01 11-Jun 00.35 (Large).jpg
    Screen 01 11-Jun 00.35 (Large).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen 01 13-Jun 10.03 (Large).jpg
    Screen 01 13-Jun 10.03 (Large).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 3
I've tested it with a second display attached to my laptop and it seems to semi-consistently duplicate the problem. It seems to take a minute to switch back to the yellowish display after activating the second monitor display. It's strange because only the image displayed within PS changes color - nothing else on the screen is different.

Does PS detect multiple monitor displays and change its settings automatically?

To clarify what's going on:
1. While hooked up with a second monitor, PS shows a slight tint to all images (see attached in previous post)
2. Immediately after deactivating the second monitor, the display switches to the normal expected color (see other attached in previous post). Only the image file display within PS changes - the rest of the GUI, etc remains the same color. This suggests to me that the color change is happening within PS and not in the LCD display, video card, etc.

Does this ring any bells?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to get this thing under control.

Peace!
Nick

I erased the preferences file and it appears, at first test, to have been successful!

(Ctrl+Alt+Shift while PS is starting up)

HurryUpandW8t

I've been having the same problem recently ...
only it's more than just Photoshop (CS4).

While IE, Firefox and MS Paint all view normally;
Windows Photo Gallery (Vista) and Lightroom 2.3 are also affected similarly.

It makes sense if the color settings (or somewhere similar) is the issue, as the font and icons in the problematic programs read as clear white ... yet there's that yellowish tinge on the images, color picker and the background for Windows Photo Gallery (non-fullscreen) which I can't seem to get rid of.

Any other fixes or profile setting ideas out there?
Also, how would I go about changing the profile for WPG?

Could it be the monitor set up?

Photoshop Layers

There are a series of things you have to do to orchestrate getting color to look right on screen.

* Assign a color space in your camera
* Calibrate your monitor
* Create an ICC profile
* Be sure your system is using the profile
* Set up color management working space and profile handling
* Set up proofing

If any one of these things is wrong, you can get the wrong color.

Usually yellowing is because you have set up calibration to use 6500° K For your native white...which will attempt to mimic paper.

You'll want to read up on color management, or get some help through a course: Online Photoshop Courses with Richard Lynch Reading on the internet, or even trying to get advice from people that call themselves experts (Kelby) can serve to make you either more confused or convince you that you can't ever get it right and that is just how it is...

I hope that helps!

HurryUpandW8t

yeah, I'd set that up initially ... and have been using the monitor in question for years (it's not the age of the monitor that's the problem).

I updated all the drivers for the monitor and GPU months back, and there're no further updates. I think it may be something with windows ... thanks though ... I'll try ashking kelby (anderko).