What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another question, what effect is this?

Not sure if Sam done it like this, but you could hide the text layer and then CTRL + Click on that layers thumbnail to make the selection active then click on the Color Fill layer mask to select it and paint with black using a hard brush
Thanks Ged for answering, I had to leave for a bit.

I'm sorry, I tend to forget that what I consider to be obvious, is not the case for new users. It's hard to tell what level of Ps experience someone has.

I dis exactly what Ged stated, I created a Text layer in which I used the Type Tool to make the number 5. I turned that layer off and then used it to make a selection by Cmd/Cntrl + clicking it's thumbnail. I then selected/highlighted the Color Fill layer and clicked on it layer mask. Then I filled the selection with black.

I followed that 100% as you said but when I clicked on layer mask for the background it ended up looking like this and I can't change the colour of the text, its the same blue as the background colours text.
Untitled.png

You just filled a layer with a color and applied a layer mask. What I did was to use a Color Fill Layer (because it highly editable).

Your layer mask is reversed.........select/Highlight the mask by clicking on the mask itself, and then hit Cmd/Cntrl + I to invert it.

Just a note..........I see that you did not change the color of the paper........is that OK with you? The letters wont be white.

I created a new color fill layer and i've got there now, its just as you said the letters are not white but the colour of the paper. I tried colour overlay but that didn't work, is there an easy way to get it white?

I've done it by desaturing the photo and upping the brightness, probably not the correct way though?

I've done it by desaturing the photo and upping the brightness, probably not the correct way though?
It will work, but I used a Black & White adjustment layer. Go to LAYER > NEW ADJUSTMENT LAYER > BLACK & WHITE

Then adjust the sliders until it's white. I use adjustment layers because they are much easier to edit.

Thanks alot for explaining, hadn't used any of these options before. So it looks like this now, I'd still like some sort of effect on the blue background as mine is plain compared to the example image in the earlier post. Maybe they were just using a different paper background on that one?

milestone-50.jpg

Easy fix.........

I added a Curves Adjustment layer and boosted the contrast. I also lowered the opacity of the color fill layer. Overall, it made the texture in the image stand out a bit batter.
Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 1.28.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 1.28.41 PM.png

Thanks, that helped somewhat too, although now the blue is different to I wanted but that shows me how to get that effect showing through :)

Thanks, that helped somewhat too, although now the blue is different to I wanted
That's why I use the color fill adjustment layer because I can make color adjustments in real time and very quickly.

Back