What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CS6 64bit requirements?

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
what are your recommendations for running 64 bit Photoshop?

Realistically speaking.

my Google turns up with nothing, only a very confusing article from adobe about the benefits of running 64 bit and then a bunch of irrelevant links.

I've got a new PC built up, and ready to run Photoshop. it's got a hex core processor @3.5ghz, 8gb DDR3 RAM, and a 512mb(+2gb) dedicated graphic card, which will be switched out soon I hope, to a 2gb AMD Radeoon HD 7850.

do you think that will be okay running the 64 bit version? I know my old dual core one ran 32 bit fairly smoothly

Plain English please, and sorry if this is elsewhere.

hawkeye

Guru
You didn't mention your operating system, you do need a 64 bit operating system to run it. If you have that then you should be fine. The biggest advantage of 64 bit over 32 is that you can utilize much more ram.

Hoogle

Guru
64 bit version of windows is the only requirement the rest will be the same as 32 bit version the only difference is 64 bit applications run faster and utilises your computer to the best it can.

There are some twerks though some plugins can go either way some support 32 bit only and some only support 64 bit but all major plugins aim for both.

However I would consider switching your radeon to an nvidia as nvidia can out perform ati in almost every aspect when it comes to photoshop or any multi tasking, I know they are slightly pricier but it is the same as intel vs amd. Amd and ATI are good for gaming machines, Intel and nvidia are just better hardware but of course you have to justify your usage vs cost if your just dabbling in photoshop and spend more time on gaming then I would definately go for the cheaper Amd/ATI set up, If your going to be utilizing heavy image and video editing I would spring for intel and nvidia.

So to sum up 64 bit OS is all that is needed the rest is optional and what you can justify on buying,

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
it's AMD now hoog, ATi got taken over a while ago XD

I would love to go with Nvidia, but there's advantages to having an all AMD system, that and I'm strapped for cash. £130 can get me a high end AMD card like a 7850 2gb OC, maybe an R9 270x when they are on sale, but the same money will only be able get me a mid range Nvidia card, it's just not justifiable when you compare the two together.

I tend to go for something that will work and work for a while, rather than have all of these prissy features like PhysX and CUDA that supposedly justify the price. If I won the lottery, of course I'd go with the other manufacturers, but I've got more chance of dying on the way to get my ticket.
Statistically yes, Nvidia and Intel are better manufacturers. But with a budget of £400 for the entire PC, AMD is a better choice for me, that and their sockets are backwards compatible, At the end of the day, I'm more than pleased with the speed I'm getting from this as it is and that's without the 7850 in there, I don't want the best computer money can buy, I just want the best computer I can afford. I would only be able to get the processor and the Graphic card with £400 if I went with the comparable hardware from Nvidia and Intel.

I bought it majorly for gaming anyway, the old PC I had was struggling to keep up and I desperately needed to upgrade.

You know none of the Photoshopping I do is particularly heavy :p

and obviously if I've got 8 gigs of RAM, I'm gonna need to be using a 64bit OS to utilize that RAM.

But hey ho, got the answer I required, thanks gents. just wanted to check, sometimes there's special requirements for 64bit versions of software, I know 3ds has them.

Hoogle

Guru
I did say shop around lol. And if you fail to get 1 within your budget inbox me I will have 1 of my suppliers send you 1 at trade price

Hoogle

Guru
They change every day depends on what they have plenty of stock on and how flexible you are on exact product, But to give you an idea My Pc custome build was £800 add up the components on Novatech it is a £1900+ computer.

Intel i7 4770k cpu

Asus Z87 - Pro mainboard

Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB Solid State Hard

Nvidia GTX 770 twin Fozr

16 Gb kingstone hyper x ram

128 gb kingston hyper x ssd for os and main programs.

Corsair Tx850 psu

Corsair hydro 100i cooling

3 Tb storage drive

Antec 300 case

That is a lot cheaper than trade price but that was because I got Graphics card dirt cheap as they were on offer and the samsung ssd was practically a freebie thrown in along with the case.

Ram is no where near the speed I would have liked but like I said I chose the whats on offer price over what I would have liked.

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
fair enough, we'll have to see nearer the time, i may have more money than i thought, in which case I may be able to buy said nvidia card just depends really

Hoogle

Guru
When your ready inbox me 3 specs your budget end, your mid range end and your top end rangeI will get a quote and send them to you if you want to alter aspects then we can and if you add me on skype I can do live quotes on tues and thursdays as that is when I am at the shop ( I have my office upstairs from there so only have access to the shops suppliers on those days, but due to being really busy with a lot on I am thinking about going in on mondays now as well) if you Order on a tuesday you will get it all delivered on the wednesday it will be delivered directly to you so you will have to build it yourself, ( which I assume isnt a problem) I just wouldnt recommend buying windows through us as that is always more expensive than you can probably buy on your own

Zeealex

Retired Forum Moderator
I only really need the graphic card, the rest of it's built and running smoothly, I'm talking to you from it now :D I've got Windows 8.1 on dreamspark for free until july.

if I can get a graphic card under the £130 budget Nvidia or AMD, that will run Arma 3 smoothly on high settings, and will last 3 years I'll be happy. won't be able to get it til around Christmas time though, and that budget may go up, it may go down, I'm unsure.

Hoogle

Guru
Well Nvidias new releases were this week which means end of the month big price drops but then prices increase for christmas like everything else.

Steve

Retired Administrator
The biggest difference is the amount of Ram PS will use.
These numbers are aproximate but close.

On a 32 bit machine 32bit PS can access 1.7MB of Ram
On a 64 bit machine 32bit PS can access 3.2MB of Ram
On a 64 bit machine 64bit PS can access all available memory

You'll see the benefit more when you work on very large files

Steve

Retired Administrator

English_Wolf

I did say shop around lol. And if you fail to get 1 within your budget inbox me I will have 1 of my suppliers send you 1 at trade price
Why do you live in the UK???? Could not have been in the US? I would love to have these prices when I build my next rig!!!:naughty: