What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underwater background replacement?

Steve_Brandt

OK so this is NOT a request for a photoshop fix/manip. I am looking for insight as to how I could edit them and what techniques to use... The first image I am attaching is an untouched image from a recent underwater shoot I did. There was basically no way to move the models around so as to avoid the tile on the pool walls and floor, so i just did my best to keep them lit well and composed... I like many of the images but because of the blue tile on the floor and walls I am having a rough time making the art I want out of them. I have tried clone stamping the floor tile but because of the DOF and how the tile appears to get smaller as it gets further away(cant remember the proper camera tech word for this phenomena) my edit is just not realistic... The tile on the wall I am a little more successful at removing but even then I would just rather not have any of the tile.

SOOOOO. My questions are.

1. How can I remove the blue floor tile and the drain thing while keeping the lines and DOF the same all the way through? Basically making it look like its all white floor tile. Or what techniques would one use.

2. (Really this is my main question as I would rather make all the tile go away, but ill take either or.) I would like to remove all the tile or replace it with a backdrop that looks realistically liquid. I dont want just a plain black or white backdrop. I would like to make it look like it blends with the reflection on the water above. Does anyone have insight on how to do that? Or what techniques to use to do it? I am not super advanced at PS but can usually find my way around it well enough to do what i want(until now that is)

The second 2 attachments are images that I like well enough and removed some of the wall tile and ladder, but would still like to remove all the blue tile or do the replacement of the tile with a fake backdrop so it still looks like she is floating in water...

Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer and I will try to be around to give help where I can :)

Attachments

• _DSC3180.jpg
    _DSC3180.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • _DSC2732.jpg
    _DSC2732.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 7
  • _DSC2755.jpg
    _DSC2755.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 4
Very nice Eggy.

@Steve_Brandt I know you said you did not want a plain dark BG, but that's what I think would make the top image look the best. Have you tried that? I will work on an example when I have time.

The second image looks pretty good to me, needs some lighting adjustments but that's all. The third would have been great had the models head been included.

You can actually remove the blue areas and the drains with the Clone Stamp Tool, but get ready for a very long and tedious session. Hopefully you've learned a valuable lesson from this shoot.

Couldn't you have just filled the pool with thin fabrics and have the model swim through getting all lost in the fabric clouds?

Back