What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a 3D reflective object

strang_theory

My goal is to create a simple UFO shape that reflects the background around it. I'd like to use a small sphere intereceted by a larger sphere that has been "squished" on one axis. The two shapes are chrome like in appearance. I can't figure out how to make a chrome textured 3D sphere to have the proper reflection of the background around it.

Attachments

• IMG_7700.JPG
    IMG_7700.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1
Hello and welcome to PSG.

Sorry.....quick question so we're all on the same page.......What does intereceted mean?

Do you mean interceded? Which means to intervene on the behalf of another.

What is your level of expertise in PS 3D?

What you need to have to do what you have in mind are two pictures:
- the first one is the normal background picture
- the second one the HDRI picture wich is a 360 degrees panoramic picture

You need to replace the standard IBL with the HDRI picture to have a seemless reflection in the sphere and reverse the view because the reflection you see in the front side of the sphere is actually the view of where you stand.
You can not have a reflection from the visible background but from the part facing the background. (Thats why you need a 360 degrees view picture)
You also need to adjust the shine and reflection of the sphere.

Free HDRI maps are available on the net

Last edited:
First get some 360 degrees panoramic image. Find one or make your own.
Go to 3D->New Shape From Layer->Spherical Panorama. You'll get panoramic 3D sphere object.
Now add new layer and go to 3D->New Shape From Layer->Sphere. For this sphere remove Diffuse texture, set Diffuse color to black and Reflection to 100%
Select both layers in the Layers Panel and go to 3D->Merge 3D Layers.
Chances are PS positioned your spheres differently and wildly apart. So use Camera Walk tool and Camera rotate tool to move far enough from them to see them both. Select your reflective sphere with Mesh rotate tool, scale it down and move it inside panoramic sphere. Just so it disappears inside.

Now select Camera Walk tool and move the camera right inside panoramic sphere. That's write: just move closer and closer until the view switches to completely different meaning you are inside... Using Camera Walk and Camera rotate tool find the camera position that you like. This might take some effort...

Look around inside panoramic sphere using Camera rotate tool to locate your reflective sphere and use Mesh rotate tool on it to position and scale it where you really want it. This might take some effort again but little by slowly makes it...
Finally you can use Zoom 3D Camera to adjust Field of View.

PanoramicSphere.png

P.S. In my PS while working on this I had to temporally switch to Ray Tracer option with Reflections on in the Interactive Rendering group of Preferences->3D and only in the end Render the final result with OpenGL. Although this might not be the case on your computer...

Back