What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Illustrator How to change colour or a placed item/layer/icon

ASC

Hi,

I have a symbol I've imported into Illustrator but I can't seem to change the colour, well I don't know how to.

Here's a print screen, I need the black symbol to be the same colour as the text. How can I do this?

change colour.jpg

Any help would be grateful as I need help urgently!

Thank You

ALB68

Dear Departed Guru and PSG Staff Member
Is the "symbol" still a bitmap? I can't read the screen info on the screenshot.
If it is a bitmap, you will need to trace it first and make it into a vector. (that is unless you want to send it to Photoshop and change the colors there, but it still needs to be converted) Once you get it traced..expand appearance and you can then change the fill colors.

Hoogle

Guru
right click the symbol and select Break link To Symbol then it becomes an independent shape and not an instance of a symbol in the library. Enabling you to edit colour and strokes also edit individual elements of the symbol.

ASC

View attachment businesscard_template_uk.ai

Is the "symbol" still a bitmap? I can't read the screen info on the screenshot.
If it is a bitmap, you will need to trace it first and make it into a vector. (that is unless you want to send it to Photoshop and change the colors there, but it still needs to be converted) Once you get it traced..expand appearance and you can then change the fill colors.

I'm not sure, how do I check if it's a bitmap? I can send the file to you if you like?

right click the symbol and select Break link To Symbol then it becomes an independent shape and not an instance of a symbol in the library. Enabling you to edit colour and strokes also edit individual elements of the symbol.

I right clicked on the symbol and layers I can't find 'Break Link to Symbol'.

I have attached the file if that helps?

hawkeye

Guru
It appears that you placed an image into Illustrator. If that is the case you need to use image trace, then you can manipulate it as you wish.

ASC

It appears that you placed an image into Illustrator. If that is the case you need to use image trace, then you can manipulate it as you wish.

I placed a previous .ai file into Illustrator...

hawkeye

Guru
Object ungroup.

Attachments

• businesscard_template_uk.ai
    170.8 KB · Views: 1

hawkeye

Guru
I gave him the answer. From his ai file:

Attachments

• ScreenShot002.jpg
    ScreenShot002.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0

ALB68

Yeah, I was looking this up and you posted it before me. I gave him good info anyway because he was having difficulty with the Linked file he said.
I gave him the answer. From his ai file:

Last edited:

ASC

Hi ALB68,

Thank you for your message back and link buddy appreciate it. I think I have figured it out :) thank you!

I need one other favour... I download the below icon's for the business card online from Google Images they are .png files but when I zoom in they don't seem clear as everything else I've designed in Illustrator. Does anyone know where I can get better Icons as the one's below?

View attachment Back Example.pdf

Thank you.

ALB68

ASC, I could not tell much about the file you attached...BUT..the files you speak about are PNG files. These are bitmap, pixel based files. They would be resolution dependent and more than likely are low res for the web. Png is a popular format for web graphics as they retain transparency. To recreate them, copy them into AI and open up your Trace panel and trace them. Your upper left will identify them as Image Trace. To further manipulate them you will have to Expand them. Unfortunately if they are just low res files you may not get good results. If they are simple icons they can be hand traced..but they will eventually need to be PNGs if your using them for web content. The only way to get them to look like what you created in Ai is for them to be vector based and non-resolution dependent. There are a jillion of them on the web to download..look around.
No offence intended but it sounds as if you need some serious study in graphics and graphic design.

Edit: Did you get your colors changed? I just opened the file you posted. To get to the individual objects you have to ungroup that clipping mask. Select you card, Object/Ungroup, Clipping Mask/Release. You can then select each individual object. Color is changed by clicking on the Fill drop down (top left), and choosing a color with the target object selected.
lQUOTE=ASC;1533685234]Hi ALB68,

Thank you for your message back and link buddy appreciate it. I think I have figured it out :) thank you!

I need one other favour... I download the below icon's for the business card online from Google Images they are .png files but when I zoom in they don't seem clear as everything else I've designed in Illustrator. Does anyone know where I can get better Icons as the one's below?

View attachment 46132

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: