What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Distribute images from layers onto a grid of a larger format poster

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikecox

I need to get a large number of 3x4 images that are currently in layers, distributed evenly onto a large poster. Lr can load a set of images onto a grid like that but the largest format it 8x10.

Is there a way to create a large canvas in Ps, add a grid, then load each image into the center of each grid, automatically? Or just drag and drop, one layer at a time, into the grid?

I just want to end result to be even and uniformly distributed.

JeffK

Guru
Michael -
I haven't done what you're trying to do but did some digging on your behalf. As I thought, what you're trying to accomplish is not playing to Photoshop's strengths but rather to a page layout program like InDesign. You can batch process the images in PS to a particular size but dropping them into a PS document in a grid layout is a fairly laborious process - especially if you're dealing with small images in a large format poster. You would really have to create the grid (view->new guide layout->dialog box to spec), then drop the images one-by-one into the document, resize (if not batch processed as above), and clip to each individual layer you create. Each layer would have a single image.

Here's a video on an InDesign image grid layout that I think what you're aiming for - bit more automated:

Depending on the number of images you have, maybe there's a service that can inexpensively do the layout for you. InDesign, unfortunately, isn't in my bag of tools right now.

As a side note, the term "large poster" is fairly generic. As someone who was in print production, I've worked on posters that range from 19 X 25 inches up to convention panels that run from 220 inches across to 96 inches high. Done in sections but on large format printers or even sheet fed machines up to 60" in width.

Also when spec'ing sizes, make sure you note if it's in metric or imperial - inches or centimeters. I've fallen into that trap myself when working with vendors across The Pond. Embarrassing to say the least. :)

I'm not a power PS user so some others may drop in with a greater perspective. Let me know if there's any other way I can help.

- Jeff

mikecox

I wonder if this is the sort of thing you are after?

If so I will upload the Photoshop scripts.
Hi Paul,
Sorry for the delay, the notification got lost in the shuffle and I had to go looking for it!
Thanks for this! I'd love to get the script that does this because it looks like exactly what I'm looking for!

mikecox

Michael -

Here's a video on an InDesign image grid layout that I think what you're aiming for - bit more automated:

As a side note, the term "large poster" is fairly generic. As someone who was in print production, I've worked on posters that range from 19 X 25 inches up to convention panels that run from 220 inches across to 96 inches high. Done in sections but on large format printers or even sheet fed machines up to 60" in width.

Also when spec'ing sizes, make sure you note if it's in metric or imperial - inches or centimeters. I've fallen into that trap myself when working with vendors across The Pond. Embarrassing to say the least. :)
- Jeff
Thanks for this video, Jeff. I was thinking about trying it when I got Paul's post, which is pretty impressive. But I will definitely add it to my bag of tricks as I'm sure it will come in handy at some point. btw my poster is in inches and is in the 19x25 range.

Paul MR

The Script Master
Hi Michael, here are the scripts, unzip , if using Windows start Photoshop as Administrator (Not required for a Mac) Files - Scripts - Browse - navigate to where you unziped the package, and select install.jsx
Information is in the readme.txt.

Attachments

• Album.zip
    179.1 KB · Views: 29

mikecox

Hi Michael, here are the scripts, unzip , if using Windows start Photoshop as Administrator (Not required for a Mac) Files - Scripts - Browse - navigate to where you unziped the package, and select install.jsx
Thanks Paul! :bowdown: I really appreciate this! This will make completion of this project so much easier! :yay:

mikecox

Paul, do these files get loaded into Ps, so that I can remove them from the Explorer folder I unzipped them in?

Paul MR

The Script Master
Yes they get copied into the preset/scripts folder and the actions get created. so the zip and unziped files can be deleted.

mikecox

Yes they get copied into the preset/scripts folder and the actions get created. so the zip and unziped files can be deleted.
Thanks, I thought that was the case, but I wanted to be sure.

mikecox

@mikecox - possible you can post your finished piece when complete so we can see how it works out?
- Jeff
Sure, I'd be happy to, but don't expect much in the way of photography. The images I am commissioned to organize onto a poster are the work of a very amateur photographer friend and most of his photos don't deserve the light of day! Some are downright awful, but he refused to allow me to cull the collection. So I cropped and shopped them and made them as presentable as possible.

But this is about how that script works out so It's mostly learning experienced (-:

JeffK

Guru
Not to worry about the content - I was just curious as to how the script worked out. :cool:

- Jeff

mikecox

Hi Michael, here are the scripts, install.jsx
Hi Paul,

Everything installed and I have the Action palette in Button Mode.

I added a document, then loaded it with 32 images. Then I selected one of the images and clicked "Create Mask" but I get "You need to have made a selection". What am I supposed to select?

mikecox

Hi Paul,

Everything installed and I have the Action palette in Button Mode.

I added a document, then loaded it with 32 images. Then I selected one of the images and clicked "Create Mask" but I get "You need to have made a selection". What am I supposed to select?

Here is the poster file I'm trying to sort out. The images are all too small; my client wanted that size, he also wanted that poster size, so obviously, the images must be way bigger. They are all the same width but some are taller than others, and the tower shots are off size on both sides, but I want to set them in the center with rows above and below. I also plan to ad Fx elements like shodows and strokes.

I was hoping to batch size them so they fil in a grid that fills the entire 12000 x 9000 ppi poster.

Can I batch size to long side, or do I need to create an Action or...? Will this script even work for add sized images?

Paul MR

The Script Master
Hi Micheal.
1) Create the document to the size and PPI you want.
2) Use the "Rectangular Marquee Tool to mark out the area you want to place the pictures
3) Click on the action "Mack Mask" this will create the number of masks that you want in the confinds of the area you marked out in step two.
4) If the masks are not touching the bound you require you can select the bottom layer of masks and move them to the bottom, also if the righthand masks are not touching the righthand side
you can select the righthand side masks and move them to the right. Now select all masks and select the action "Distribute Layers" this will then space all the layers evenly.
5) you can add the pictures to the masks. There are a couple of ways this can be done using the action "Add Pictures" you can use the Selected files that you have selected in Adobe Bridge, these will be inserted in the order thay are in Bridge and inserted left to right, top down.
All pictures are resized to fit the masks at the correct PPI (You can select the picture size in the drop down list as a percentage size of the mask)
If the "Just do it" checkbox is not ticked it will let you adjust the picture within the mask. Once done accept the change and it will prompt for the next selected mask.
Add Pictures works on the selected masked layers, so if you want to change a picture just select that layer and use Add Pictures to insert that picture in that mask.
If you still have any problems I will make a few more videos to help.

mikecox

Here is another example:-
/QUOTE]
Thanks for the detailed step-by-step Paul, and for this example. I will continue to play with this very interesting script until I get the results I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.