What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to fit two 1920x1080 images into one 1920x1080 canvas?

Aesthete18

Hi, I was wondering if this is possible. I've been trying without any success. The current method I used is loading the two images into stacks>dragging one out of view and snapping it>reveal all. This works in putting both images into one but changes the dimensions to 3840x1080.

Manually resizing them leaves empty gaps in the 1920x1080 canvas if I'm to resize equally.

Any way to get around this?

Thank you.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Manually resizing them leaves empty gaps in the 1920x1080 canvas if I'm to resize equally.
So you want to fit two cars of the same exact size into one parking space? You would have to stack one car on top of the other in order for them to occupy the same parking space! Otherwise, you would need to place them one in front of the other or one beside the other which would require another aditional parking space.

If you only want a 1920px x 1080px canvas, then all imagery needs to be contained within that space. If you fill up that space with one image that's 1920px x1080px, then how would you expect to be able to add another image of the same size to the filled space? If you resize both images in order to fit, of course you will be left with "empty gaps".

Without expanding the canvas or resizing the images, you will only be able to view one of the images (the uppermost layer or which layer is active) at a time!

First image 1920x1080
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 8.10.36 AM.png

Second image 1920x1080
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 8.10.46 AM.png

Layers panel.
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 8.21.11 AM.png

You can use a layer mask that would allow you to view half (or more, or less) of one image and half of the other.
(You can make it anyway you like, horiz, vert, diagonal, square, round, oval, gradient fade, etc.)
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 8.21.32 AM.png

Layers panel...
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 8.21.39 AM.png

You could also resize one image while leaving the other in it's original 1920x1080 size.
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 8.49.06 AM.png

Aesthete18

So you want to fit two cars of the same exact size into one parking space? You would have to stack one car on top of the other in order for them to occupy the same parking space! Otherwise, you would need to place them one in front of the other or one beside the other which would require another aditional parking space.

If you only want a 1920px x 1080px canvas, then all imagery needs to be contained within that space. If you fill up that space with one image that's 1920px x1080px, then how would you expect to be able to add another image of the same size to the filled space? If you resize both images in order to fit, of course you will be left with "empty gaps".

Without expanding the canvas or resizing the images, you will only be able to view one of the images (the uppermost layer or which layer is active) at a time!

First image 1920x1080
View attachment 109768

Second image 1920x1080
View attachment 109769

Layers panel.
View attachment 109770

You can use a layer mask that would allow you to view half (or more, or less) of one image and half of the other.
(You can make it anyway you like, horiz, vert, diagonal, square, round, oval, gradient fade, etc.)
View attachment 109771

Layers panel...
View attachment 109772

You could also resize one image while leaving the other in it's original 1920x1080 size.
View attachment 109773
Your reply sounds pretty condescending but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since the latter seemed helpful.

You can actually resize it and remove the "gaps". By using the marquee tool and then image>crop.

polarwoc

Guru
I have been following this thread since I saw this question. I wanted to question how you expect to have two similar sized images displaying in canvas of the exact similar dimension, but thought maybe I misunderstood the question.
I thought the Car Parking example is apt to explain the point clearly. Also, taking so many screenshots to explain takes time, efforts and the willingness to help out a stranger.
You can actually resize it and remove the "gaps". By using the marquee tool and then image>crop.
Once you crop the image, your canvas dimensions change. When you said "resize it", what would be the resized dimensions be?

thebestcpu

Guru
I may not understand the end result you desire yet there are several approaches.
I would assume you want to both maintain the original aspect ratio (and pixel dimensions) and yet still show both images
A couple examples
1) If the final result is a monitor a slowly transitioning GIF animation could switch from one to the other indefinitely
2) Another approach is to creatively fill the blank areas that are created as in the example below.

Maybe a better understanding of your end desired result would help forum members focus on more targeted answers. Just a suggestion
John Wheeler

two-images-joined.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Your reply sounds pretty condescending but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since the latter seemed helpful.
I had no intention of sounding condescending. I'm just trying to explain by using cars as an example. Hopefully you see that or maybe you misunderstood?

Yes you can, but as you yourself state, ".....resize it and remove the gaps". Resizing by cropping will change the original canvas size. If your goal is to maintain the original 1920 x 1080 canvas size, then this will not work.

You can't make two 1920 x 1080 images fully viewable on a 1920 x 1080 canvas without altering one or all of their dimensions.

You can take two 960 x 1080 images and place them in a 1920 x 1080 canvas without altering the aspect ratio.
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 9.25.15 PM.png

......or two 1920 x 540 images.
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 9.20.09 PM.png

Here I used free transform to squish the two 1920 x 1080 images into the 1920 x 1080 canvas space. This would distort their original aspect ratio.
Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 8.55.07 PM.png

I agree with @thebestcpu in that maybe you should try and explain exactly what you want.

PS - I thought of a GIF animation but at the 1920 x 1080 canvas size.............I fear the end result would be a grainy mess.

Paul MR

The Script Master
One way of doing it if you don't mind a little distotion would be to use:-
Edit - Content-Aware Scale