What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Remove red background and make symbols as clear as possible

Igiloca

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to remove the red background from these pictures and make the background transparant, but i can't seem to make it work. No matter how hard i try, there are always a few red-ish pixels left. Also, is there a possiblity to enhance the quality of the symbols?
Thank you very very much in advance!!

Hookah.jpg Theepot.jpg

andybriggs03

do you have the origianl images, this can be done using the eraser tool, intricate slow work. theres gaps in the images so causing the flooding.

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
do you have the origianl images, this can be done using the eraser tool,
I agree.....................Never use the Erasure Tool! Layer masking is the correct and non-destructive way to isolate/remove backgrounds.

thebestcpu

Guru
Yes, that is the problem having both low resolution, low quality, and saved as very compressed JPEG. Very difficult to recover from.
Here is my shot at it and enlarged yet some of the details are removed. The red background was bleeding into all the edges and to make it reasonable I eliminated all the small framishes.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

ADDED EDIT: I forgot to turn off the white background Layer so I updated with background as transparent. Also added original size corrected image

Hookah-enlarged-background-gone-original-size.png

Hookah-enlarged-background-gone.png

Last edited:

Igiloca

It's a lot better than my attempt, thanks! Is it too much to ask if you also have time to do the other image? Either way, I'm already very thankful!

thebestcpu

Guru
Here is the teapot large size then small size

I am assuming that virtually all the red in the image was assuming reflections from the surroundings so in both posts I turned those to transparency.
Quite the challenge

ADDED EDIT - For this image here was the general flow
- Upsize 6X with Topaz Gigapixel
- Duplicate Layer, Turn to Smart Object and with Camera Raw Filter reduced luminosity of reds and oranges to make it differentiate
- After Camera Raw filter create selection of all red areas then delete the Smart Object
- Make sure bottom Layer is not background Layer and turn selection to Layer Mask
- Use Select and Mask on the Layer to fine tune as desired
- Add Hue Saturation Layer and choose Red from dropdown and shift remaining red to match the rest of the image
- Save as PNG
- Create reduced size PNG with File > Image Size with bicubic sharper rendering algorithm

Well those were the approximate steps - FYI

John Wheeler

Theepot-enlarged.png

Theepot-enlarged-original-size.png

Last edited: