What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific What am I missing? - Smart Object

KenR60

So new to PhotoShop so excuse my lack of knowledge. I downloaded a few "Smart Object" Fonts and see that you can change the word ( Found that under Layers ) but when I type a new word and then press Save, close it and re-open it there isn't any changes and the original word still shows? I am using "CS6 Extended"
Thanks in Advance

2020-03-24_11h05_28.png

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi KenR60
A Smart Ojbect for all intensive purposes is an embedding separate document/file in your 107.psd.
When you open that Smart Ojbect for editing, it opens up as a separate document of the contents of that Smart Ojbect to edit. When you save that opened Smart Object document (not Save As), it only saves it back into you 107.psd document. As I recall, the Smart Ojbect file still remains open as well. Once you save the Smart Object, I close the Smart Ojbect file and now you should be back at 107.psd document
Note at this point, the 107.psd file has not yet been saved. When back in the 107.psd document, the Smart Object should be updated and now you can Save or Save As the 107.psd document. If you close the 107.psd document and reopen (or an alternate file if you used Save As), the changes should have stuck and be there.

That's my best guess from your description.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler

KenR60

Thanks for that John, I've followed all that but still the Font remains the same. When I reload the 107.psd it clearly shows the changed word ( Ken - Circled ) in the title as well as under the layers but still the original word remains?

Image2.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Can you share the psd file or if the donwload was free, a link to that psd download and I could give it a look

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It would seem that you have only re-named the layer and not made any changes to the smart object.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 1.22.49 AM.png

This is only a layer name. It changes as you highlight different layers.
Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 1.27.57 AM.png

You have to double click the smart objects layer thumbnail which open the editable .PSB file. After editing, just save and close the .PSB file.

hawkeye

Guru
Hi KenR60
A Smart Ojbect for all intensive purposes is an embedding separate document/file in your 107.psd.
When you open that Smart Ojbect for editing, it opens up as a separate document of the contents of that Smart Ojbect to edit. When you save that opened Smart Object document (not Save As), it only saves it back into you 107.psd document. As I recall, the Smart Ojbect file still remains open as well. Once you save the Smart Object, I close the Smart Ojbect file and now you should be back at 107.psd document
Note at this point, the 107.psd file has not yet been saved. When back in the 107.psd document, the Smart Object should be updated and now you can Save or Save As the 107.psd document. If you close the 107.psd document and reopen (or an alternate file if you used Save As), the changes should have stuck and be there.

That's my best guess from your description.
Hope this helps
John Wheeler
For all intents and purposes”