What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trying to edit editable template

kentuckynet

sorry for such a basic question but i have been trying for quite a while with no sucess.
I have an editable template, it has several layers overlapping each other with a picture under the writing.
All the different layers can be removed by clicking the eye or lock icon, when i click the photograph it goes away as well.
My problem is here, when i try putting the new photo in its place it becomes ontop of the other layers of writing etc.
How do i insert my picture at the same layer depth of the one thats editable?
Hope i wrote this so you can understand.

thanks for helping a newbie

Hi K -
When you drag a new image - or any object - onto a template, it usually ends up on the top of the layer stack.
So to get that new image to the bottom, first make sure that the bottom most layer isnt marked as Background.
If it is, then just to the right of it, there is a little lock icon. Just click on it and the name of the layer will change to Layer 0.

Method 1:
- Click on the new layer to activate it (it will become highlighted)
- Then hold down your CTRL key (Command on Mac), and while holding it down, use your left bracket key to move the layer down
until it's where you want it. You can use your right bracket key to move a layer up.

Here's where the bracket keys are:

1609181267098.png

Method 2:
- Click on the new layer to activate it
- Clcik on your move tool to activate it (the move tool is the cross at the top of the tool stack)
- The hover over your activated layer, right click and hold the button down. The drag the layer down to where your want it.

Here's your move tool:

1609181594613.png

Any questions, let us know!

-Jeff

How do i insert my picture at the same layer depth of the one thats editable?
Hello. Sorry if my interpretation of your situation is incorrect.

Click on and highlight the editable layer.
Turn off/disable "the eye" of the editable layer.
Drag and drop your new image onto the canvas (holding shift key)

The new layer will be added directly above the editable layer and should be active as well as in proper position with writing on top.

Just letting you know that a screen shot is worth a thousand words!

**Correction to my note about Method 2 - you left click and drag down (not right click)

Or you can group several layers and lock them.

Got it, worked great, thank you guys for going back to the basics for me!
This site is awesome......
Haha, same with me here, this forum always reminds me of the things I always forget when I do photoshop.

Back