What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Repair Advice Needed

Juiceycow

Hi everyone,

I'm almost finished repainting an old damaged photo, but now I have an issue of the completely destroyed face(s) on the right, that I can't repair using healing tools.

Ganmain_Premiers_1946.jpg

Luckily I could source another photo (not the same shot) from the same day (although the resolution isn't as high - so there is a loss of texture, plus it's not a "colorized" version).

Ganmain_Premiers_1946_cropped.jpgalternate.jpg

What would the best technique to use to try and blend the two images? Just fully crop/paste in the better face? Clone?
I lined them up underneath each other, but that's as far as I've gotten.

Thanks for any advice!

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What would the best technique to use to try and blend the two images? Just fully crop/paste in the better face? Clone?
I personally would overlay and align the new image and use a layer mask (with Brush Tool) to blend into the damaged photo.

JeffK

Guru
Going by what @IamSam offered, and using your posts above, I did the following:

- Opened up both images in PS and copied over the partial onto the full team shot;
- masked out some of the partial image
- sharpened image via Topaz Sharpen
- desatured so becomes black and white;
- applied neural colorization filter*
(*i don't know what tools you have available you can use other methods to sharpen and colorize)

Result:

Ganmain_Premiers_1946 edited.jpg

Here's my workflow:

1638295983530.png

Obviously more work to be done and using the originals you have on hand.

Hope this all gives you some insight.

- Jeff

Juiceycow

Perfect, thanks!
Gives me something to work with (haven't had much practice with layer masks).

JeffK

Guru
Masking is important to know since it's a non-destructive way of hiding - rather than erasing - pixel information.
Here's a bit of a lengthy tutorial and he goes into some extensive detail. What you want to do, blend images, begins at about 11:30.

Lots of other tutorials on YouTube and lessons well taught and learned!