What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scripting Photoshop Script to Paste Multiple Items

Chris Mattock

Hi guys, so I am very new (in fact not even started) with scripts in PS, but here is my problem.

I have a huge JPG chart of the East Coast of Zanzibar.
I have 500 GPS coordinates of my sailing trip.
I can convert those 500 points into xy coordinates for the chart.

What I would then like to do is paste an object (some kind a X perhaps) on each point, is there a way of doing this automatically?

Even better would be if I could automatically link the points together with a line of a particular style.

EVEN better would be if I could have text next to each of these points stating the date and time (information which I have).

So is any of this possible? Or do I have a weekend of manually entering 500 points ahead of me?

Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Paul MR

The Script Master
Its posible to create a path with the xy coordinates then stroke the path.
The text could also be added.
The big question is how do you have this information? is it in a speadsheet? if so it could be saved to a CSV file and that used to populate your jpg.
Also the size of the jpg would be required and the size of font to be used.

Chris Mattock

THANKS!

The data is in a spreadsheet, however I can easily copy it into a script if need be, or, as you suggest, have it in a CSV file.

Unfortunately I have only ever used VB and never scripted anything in photoshop, if I just knew a simple way of pasting the same item in ten locations I'd be happy as a start... i.e.

Copy Item
Paste Item (1000,2100)
Paste Item (1000,2200)
Paste Item (1000,2300)
Paste Item (1050,2350)
Paste Item (1100,2400)
Paste Item (1100,2500)
Paste Item (1200,2500)
Paste Item (1300,2500)
Paste Item (1400,2500)
Paste Item (1500,2500)
Paste Item (1600,2700)
Paste Item (1700,2800)

End

If I knew the context I could easily get excel to format the data in such a way I could just paste it into a notepad file as the script... sorry, total noob here.

Last edited:

peta62

Guru
Hello,
would not it be easier to use some mapping device provided by GPS vendor ? I have good programs from Garmin. Then yo can just take the line and paste into your map jpg. Just an idea.
Best regards,
Pete

Chris Mattock

Thanks, sadly all I have is a spreadsheet of coordinates, not the device or an output file itself.

I'm actually pretty amazed that it seems so difficult to just have a script that pastes an object at a set of coordinates. :(

Paul MR

The Script Master
Ok here is an example:
Create a text file with your coordinates as:-
Download the zip file, unzip and place the script in the relevant folder.
PC:- C:/Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CS#/Presets/Scripts/
Mac:- [hard drive]/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS#/Presets/Scripts/

Restart Photoshop if it was open.
open your map
Run the script:
File - Scripts - "Create Open Path"
It will prompt for the text file with your coordinates, open and create a stroked path on a new layer.

Attachments

• Create open path.zip
    1,007 bytes · Views: 6

Paul MR

The Script Master
If you want dots on the path you can run the script below. Make sure you have the "Map Overlay" layer selected before running the script. The script uses the same coordinates file.

Attachments

• Dots on path.zip
    851 bytes · Views: 7

Chris Mattock

Some VERY minor adjustments needed due to the curvature of the earth and the chart not being totally square... but you've totally nailed it. Thanks SO much. That took me hardly any time. MUCH appreciated.

Thanks.PNG