What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I create graphics like this?

HaukC

I received an email from Gamestop the other day, and they use a graphic I would love to learn how to create on my own.

howtodo.jpg

Is there a simple way to do this?

Hi HaukC Welcome to PSG

Well there's not "simple" way of doing that kind of graphics.

I Assume that graphic was created using a 3d Modeling Tool such as 3DS max.Carrara,Cinema 4D, Maya, Lightwave, zBrush, etc.
and this involves some 3D knowledge and lots of time.

Theres's a lot of 3d Modeling Aps, Some of them pretty expensive, and also there's the free ones like Blender,Ogre, K3D, etc

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I am gutted it isn't just a simple click in Photoshop to get that, but will definitely check out some of the free programs you suggest. Hopefully I'll find a way.

Thanks again for your reply. :)

It's possible to get that kind of look in Photoshop or Illustrator, but it would take a lot of time. I agree with $1r_M4x1mu$ that the characters in the example image were probably done using 3D software. It's more economical for big companies like LEGO to build 3D models because they can re-use them in many different advertisements and company graphics.

The rest of the image besides the characters themselves can easily be done in Photoshop.

You can of course make a similar looking composition by taking a 3D-looking graphic or photo of the characters and placing them into a similar looking composition.

Cheers to both of you.

I did some experimenting in Photoshop, and even though it isn't perfect I do get a pretty similar effect by just using the "Bevel and Emboss" on the picture and tweak it to fit the image.

Yea that's one way to do it. You could also make a new layer on top of the layer you are wanting to give a 3D look to, choose Edit --> Fill and fill it with 50% gray. Set the blending mode of this new layer to Soft Light, and use the Dodge and Burn tools to paint on the gray layer. Use Burn where you want it to get darker (for the shadows) and Dodge where you want to make it lighter (highlights). This can help to give it a 3D feel very effectively, but it takes a lot of practice.

Hi,
I can't tell you about all things. But, after creating full image, for making border like your image. You should go to Layer > Layer Style > Drop Shadow. & Layer > Layer Style > Bevel and emboss.

Back