What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scratch Disk and file size issue's

Looks Great! Whatever you do, that was a huge undertaking and a lot of work. Tell us more about your new methodology.

I'm working on a new one now. I discovered that the main problem is DPI when processing something this scale. The difference even -/+ 10 DPI can be the difference of making something basic or something professional, no matter how good your hardware is. Admittedly PS obviously isn't the correct software to use but it does prove that it can be done.

I'm working a new copy again, MUCH improved over this one. Only time will tell when the actual print is done but the printers seem confident that these will print out well.

I will post the updated version soon and give a list of methods/effects used to create and make a list of useful points for anyone that wants/needs to attempt something of this scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@OP: "...The difference even -/+ 10 DPI can be the difference of making something basic or something professional, ..."

Don't forget that +/- 10 dpi starting at 30 dpi (ie, typical for very large outdoor billboards) is a much larger fractional change than 10 dpi out of 300 (ie, typical for small to moderate sized photos viewed at arms length).

T

As a designer at a commercial printing company, I have to say that putting that logo and type in Photoshop is sacrilege! Why you do not have that type as live text, and that logo in crisp vector boggles my mind! Your design looks good, it's just the execution. You should turn off those text/logo layers and place that psd or tif (NEVER jpg for print) directly into InDesign or Illustrator, then type and place the logo vector art there before exporting a high-res pdf that includes color profiles, crops and bleeds. In the absence of these professional software titles; a viable free, open source alternative is Scribus (http://www.scribus.net).

Excellent points, Renegade. Of course he should have kept the text and any vector art in (editable) vector form, and worked in InDesign or AI. In fact, this were already suggested to him, but the OP apparently didn't want to change, hence, the direction the thread took.

:-(

Tom M

Back