What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D 3D ground plane - maddening shadow!

Pearlie

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask a question.... very new here...

There is always a horizon line/ground plane and it's got a darker tone from the horizon line down..... and I don't want it!
In Environment, have lowered the ground plane shadows to 0% and it's still there! Still there with 1%, too (heard there was a 'bug' that makes moire pattern, use 1% instead of 0%)
Took the shadow off the one point light... and it's still there! This has to be something very simple that I'm missing, and although I'm getting a grip on 3D, can't figure this issue out. Help!!:question:
:bangdesk: thanks to any guru who can answer this!

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Try setting the 'shine' and 'reflection' (in material object) to 0% to avoid that shadowing thing on the ground plane.

Pearlie

On which part - the back wall? the entire image? This is an image of a sort of clock, made with several vector images (each with different opacities) made with tech brushes and assembled. An extruded wall behind with a texture.... playing with illuminated back inflation on the brushes.
thanks for responding, Eggy.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Set the shine and reflection on the ground plane and background on 0%, unless there's a special effect like a reflection of the wall.
In this case

Art Deco Clock.jpg

with some shine and reflections on, PS renders a kind of shadow in the lower part of the background.
Turning shine and reflections of resolved the problem.

Pearlie

Well, yes, I have a low reflection on the back wall - this wall is the entire background, top to bottom, same wall, same texture on it - and I do want it to reflect the clock parts.

Pearlie

Yes, that's it, where your arrow is. Just tried taking the shine and reflection off the back wall to 0% - and it's still there!!! :sad:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Make sure the ground plane and the background are not intersecting

Not like this

Untitled-1.jpg

But like this

Untitled-2.jpg

If you have more questions, please post them.
I have to go now but I'll see if the problem got resolved later.

Pearlie

OH! They ARE intersecting...... let me work on that. Hmmm......... THANK YOU!!

Pearlie

OMG, Eggy, I think that's it! Seeing your screenshots (thanks so much for taking the time to do that!), this makes total sense now - if it's below the ground plane, it's below ground and therefore darker. Duh. :redface:
I tried a few things: brought up the wall so the bottom was AT ground plane level, made an instance object of it and turned to make a floor but didn't like that.
Made a soft gradient layer behind but not IN the 3D scene.... nah. Finally made a new floor with a different texture.
Now the area way back there where the two meet is still a bit darker, but I think it's a matter of adjusting the lighting now, working on that.

Woohoo! This alone was worth the price of admission!!! Thank so very much. :youtheman:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Glad I could help.
Another way to avoid the problem is to turn the ground plane and background into a 2 or 3 px extrusion instead of a postcard.

Pearlie

That's just what I've done. The wall has a little bit of thickness, but the floor is 'paper thin', about .01 (inches?) so I could bring it up to ground plane level. I have text on the 'floor' so it had to be right. Looking much better and more logical.
This should be in the manual somewhere! Whew, really appreciate your response.

btw, tried to Like and Thank your post, but the site wouldn't let me.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
btw, tried to Like and Thank your post, but the site wouldn't let me.

Don't worry about that but I assume you're using IE11?
This site has obviously troubles with IE11 so to post here I have to use my back-up browser Firefox.

gedstar

Guru
Don't worry about that but I assume you're using IE11?
This site has obviously troubles with IE11 so to post here I have to use my back-up browser Firefox.

Hey Eggy

There does seem to be some strange behavior with IE11, I noticed that if I hover over certain area's of the forum I get a constant spinning blue wheel, although I am able to post and gives likes, my default browser is Firefox so never use IE11

Last edited:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Hi Ged
I had that problem from the beginning, missing letters while typing, not able to add smileys or upload pictures.
I grew up with IE so its hard to make the change and I never had problems on other sites so...

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Well, I got used to it so... God knows what could happen to the site if messing with it. :shocked:

Pearlie

I didn't even know that 11 was out, sure not using 10! Still on Windows7 - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! - it works just fine, and I use Chrome. :thumbsup: