What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

72 dpi to 300 dpi ?

Hi All

By default(on my PS anyways), the dpi is set to 72. Now I designed an ad that should be high def print ready, for large printing. I know for high def printing you have to use 300dpi. Can I change the dpi from 72 to 300 without messing up the quality of the final file and also the print?

My logic says that it is too big of a jump, a lot of quality will be lost? Should I redesign it completely with a 300dpi canvas from scratch?

Thanks

Dave

Try this as a test:
Go to Image/Image Size (at the top bar) and change the dpi from 72 to 144 and change the dropdown from "Bicubic" to Bicubic Smoother, then hit "OK"
After that, repeat the above steps but change the dpi from 144 to 288.
Last step, change the dpi to 300 and print a test section to see how it looks.
If the print quality is unacceptable, you will have to start with a 300 dpi canvas

thanks for the tip. But I do not have the printing facilities with me. So how do I test it without printing?
(I'm talking about hi def printing, like in-house printing...)

Next best thing is to view it on-screen at print size and see if there are noticeable jagged edges on the images.

As a comparison, create a 300 dpi canvas at the same size and throw one of your original images on it and compare it to the scaled up one.

You're not stuck with 72 PPI just because that's PS default size. When you create a new canvas there is a dropdown list from which to choose and a custom setting where you can create and save any configuration you want.

Next time just set up your canvas at 300 PPI or whatever you require.

Back