What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Abstract effect or anything similar to this?

Paolo Publico

Gurus, thanks for your help last time. I would like to ask for your help again..
Is there any way to achieve an effect similar to this? Yes, this is from an animation, maybe from a 3D rendering program, but is it possible for photoshop?
Thanks again!

PS.jpgPS.jpg

There is a neat trick in PS that I call step-and-repeat.

Start with a simple image like this ...

Attachments

• step_and_repeat_example-1-01_start_with_this.jpg
    step_and_repeat_example-1-01_start_with_this.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 38
Then, follow these instructions:

Select the object or region of interest.

Hit, alt-control-T. Control-T would change you into the transform tool. alt-cntrl-T puts you in the copy and transform tool.

Move your object in any way, ie, displacement, size, angle.

HIT ENTER. This step is easy to forget.

Hit: alt-control-shift-T. This activates the copy and transform-again tool. Hit enter for as many copies as you want.

Depend on how you do the transform, you can wind up with patterns that look like this...

Make the starting pattern curvy and with dots, and the result can look even more like the example you posted.

HTH,

Tom

Attachments

• step_and_repeat_example-1-02_several_applications_of_S&R.jpg
    step_and_repeat_example-1-02_several_applications_of_S&R.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 37
Paolo, nice to see you!

I have been searching like crazy to to find a tutorial on this kind of effect. I have found some that might help but none that actually re-create the effect you've posted.

I will say this, in my search, I've found several new effects that I have never seen before or even knew that Ps could do! So I thank your for your inquiry..............it has caused me to find new techniques that I may have never found otherwise!

I will keep trying to find a way to help with your question though! I do have some ideas.

Gurus, thanks for your help last time. I would like to ask for your help again..
Is there any way to achieve an effect similar to this? Yes, this is from an animation, maybe from a 3D rendering program, but is it possible for photoshop?
Thanks again!

View attachment 31766View attachment 31766

Those look like they are from a visualization program like G-Force ( http://www.soundspectrum.com/g-force/ check out the screen shots). A screen capture program was probably used to grab the images. You could use a screen recorder and then a video editor to select and save individual frames of the video.

Last edited:
You can create some really interesting abstract effects using the gradient tool and lighting effects with a layer texture.

Attachments

• ScreenShot001.jpg
    ScreenShot001.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1
Any Tutorials on this method SCTRWD?

It's just about all said.

Just make ellipse with Ellipse tool. Then 3D->Repousse... Set Depth ~ 4, Twist ~ 320, Scale - 0, Mesh Quality - Best.

For Extrusion Material make some gradient and starry pattern.

Use the Walk with 3D Camera tool to move the camera inside the figure and Object Rotate tool - to find the best view.

Some other 3D figures look good at close up views(outside or inside). Try Donut, etc...

Back