What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

accidental alien

im_a_real_boy

Hi guys,

I've got some experience with ps but still an armature(lol). The other day I was fooling around with a new space background and the check image from facebook (the green check mark with highlights). I was twisting and turning the checkmarks (duplicating them) into a brick-like patters using overlay, which made a kind of interesting borg looking background for the space image.

Then I tried playing around with polar coordinates and it formed an oval shape. The I tried playing around with duplicating the backgrounds and the oval and various blending modes until I found one that came out with a stone like grainy appearance. This reminded me very much of HR giger's alien artwork, which I like so much.

I then began playing around with various texture issues and finally found some methods to get that dirty rotting corrupted texture. I spent hours just playing around and it was so fun.

Anyway, here is the final result. I'm a little bugged(yes it is in ten did, for those who liked part 2) that the appearance still doesn't really have that rounded feel to it, but I think I've finally exhausted my interest on this project.

Thanks for viewing my submission

alien_egg.jpg

Last edited:

Laurynnem

A very unusual image... but I appreciate the artwork. I wouldn't call you an amateur though - its good. ;-)

Cruz

Thats pretty neat.. lol i wouldnt say your an ameture either because i cant make anything like that

im_a_real_boy

hi guys,

thanks for those nice responses. I actually am an amateur. I just got lucky by playing around with duplicating and blending modes and then found something that I felt fairly inspired about. The basic style of the artwork isn't original at all. It's a veeeerrrry prominent style ever since the first "alien" movie.

The guy who created it was doing stuff like that for years and he has a huge collection, which I used to study when I was younger. A lot of it is very dark and creepy (hence it's use in the alien series) so when I stumbled upon the grainy texture via blending modes I felt fairly inspired about what direction I wanted it to take.

I don't think it would have turned out like that if I had deliberately started out trying to make it like it is. I dunno if that makes sense...

Anyway, thanks again for viewing.

im_a_real_boy

Thanks for that nice response, Elina. I have another pic along the lines of the Alien theme, but created from a text tutorial on 3d letters. The background was created from the custom shapes menu, twirled, and then some bevels and lens flairs added.
spiral.jpg

Burned Ice

Power User
can you tell us more about the story of the picture, like what it is (i can't really see it, I really like the artwork but i need more fantasy :D)

also I agree with elina, cruz and aurynnem: your artwork proves that you are not an amatuer (is it amatuer? in dutch its amateur...)

im_a_real_boy

hey burned,

The art work is roughly modeled after the work of a guy named HR Giger, who's artwork was used for the inspiration behind the "Alien" franchise of movies (with Sygourney Weaver) as well as several other movies I think.

When I was a teen I used to get high and go sit at the book store looking at his stuff. I found it so fascinating. Here are some samples of his work.

image_AlienMonster_IV.jpgimage_AlienMonster_V.jpg

E

elmo033057

Giger made an enormous art book called Necronomicon and it had elements of the Alien in it and it was all oil paintings done with an airbrush. ( this was back in 1979, no Internet as we know it or Photoshop) When Ridley Scott was making the movie, he couldn't figure out what the Alien looked like. He hired a bunch of artists from "Heavy Metal" magazine to give him concept art but nothing clicked until one of Scott's staff came in with a copy of that book and said "I think I found your alien". Scott immediately got on the phone and called Giger who could not only paint like this but was also a master sculptor that made most of the enormous sets to include all of the interior sets, the enormous "dead alien pilot" seen at the beginning of the movie as well as the alien itself.

Ridley Scott is currently making the Prequel to Alien called "Prometheus" See the news on this movie here: PROMETHEUS

By the way, awesome Photoshop work! Incredible!!!:pimp:

Last edited by a moderator:

im_a_real_boy

Hi elmo,

Thanks for that expoundation on Giger. It was the Necronimicon that I used to look at.

I looked at the link you posted and there is a lot of hype about the new movie not actually being an alien sequal, but a totally new movie with some "strands of alien DNA". Sounds like it could be cool, though I was hoping for an actual alien movie.

E

elmo033057

Yeah, Ridley Scott directed the original Alien movie as well as other great movies like "Gladiator" "Thelma & Louise"and Blade Runner. He was a pioneer in the use of visual effects in movies and is considered to be one of the greatest directors ever. However, when these guys get that big, they start farming out most of the work and just producing and the work isn't nearly as good as the original. Also, they get older and more tired and these huge projects really wear on them.

Getting back to Giger, he currently lives in obscurity in Switzerland and has a room in his house that is reminiscent of the Alien movie set. He always wears black and still produces this weird yet cool art although he did win an Academy Award for his work on Alien. You can see it on his website here: HRGIGER.COM

E

elmo033057

thank you. I don't mind speaking your mind.

God bless,

Elmo