What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

adding a background image to another shape

reeksy86

Hi Folks,

I am trying to add a background image to a jigsaw puzzle piece, Been using the magic selection tool and 'paste into' but i cant seem to get straight lines, Ideally i wanted to keep the 3d style of the image, with the new multicolour background, is it easier to create a 'flat' version and then turn it into 3d afterwards,using illustrator or photoshop or am i best doing what i was doing orginally? images are below to show what i mean.

Appreciate any help!

Thanks
Optimized-abstract-rainbow-background.jpgOptimized-white-puzzle.jpg

iDad

Guru
If I were doing it, what I would do is manipulate the color over the jigsaw piece to fit properly.
Then I would close that layer so I don't see it, Trace a selection on the jigsaw piece then use that selection to copy the colored swirls and pasted in place and put it in subtract mode. here is a few minutes of work selection process could be much better this was real quicksamplecolors.png

Hoogle

Guru
If you are pretty dandy with the pen tool you can draw a path around the puzzle face with the pen tool close the path and right click on the path line and select make selection.

once an active selection is in place you can then select the layer above in this case the multicoloured wallpaper

and making sure your selection is still active click add layer mask

that will then only leave the background image in place of the puzzle face.

lifes a puzzle.PNG

iDad

Guru
So many ways vector tops:thumbsup: though!

reeksy86

It is amazing how quickly you guys can work, i have been using photoshop for a few years on an off and im nowhere near anything like good yet!

Hawkeye, Ahh ok, I havent used Vector masks before, never been comfortable using them really, dont know why though, loads of people seem to get on fine with it.

Hoggle, I dont have a steady hand, As i am only using a laptop to do this project, it doesnt give me any precision really.

idad, I can see how you have done it, but i am struggling to get it looking like that, (I am sure you must have some trick, as you did it so quick!) how would i then 'curl' the edges slightly, to make it look less flat, Could you shed a bit more light on it?

tomross

I would go with Hoogle's technique, then do the following:

1. Ensure your selection of the puzzle piece face is still active
2. Create a new top layer, and fill the selection with any color
3. Set this new layer's fill opacity to 0%, but keep the main layer opacity at 100%
4. Play around with layer styles (primarily inner shadow and bevel/emboss).

This should take Hoogle's awesome looking face, and give some of the nice 3D indents and effects that are part of the puzzle piece's original structure.

tomross

Alternatively, you may be able to duplicate the puzzle piece layer and position it as the top layer. Then play around with layer blend modes/opacities so that it doesn't obscure your colored in layer, but will make some of the indents, 3D structure and lighting of the puzzle piece more visible.

tomross

Yup will do. Just have a ton of work today, so will try and post something tonight.

tomross

Ok really bad at leaving stuff unfinished haha. Here's my take. It's pretty rough in terms of the selection, but hopefully shows what I meant about capturing the depth and rounded edges Reeksy was talking about.

I overlaid the puzzle piece as the top layer, but clipped it to only overlay the colored area. Then I set this layer's blend mode to multiply.

puzzlepiece.jpg

Paul

Former Member
Quick pen clicks on that mate, bevelled edge is ok though:mrgreen:

tomross

Yup, the selection obviously needs a good amount of time spending on it. Told you I was in a rush :D

I actually quite like the flatter version, but Reeksy was asking about the bevel style effect and how to create it.