What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adjusting layer lengths

cjrcooper

Hi everyone,

I'm working on batching some profiles for a project I've been assigned at work. I'm creating around 1k profiles and have most of the variables set up for batching. Everything is working fine except for one part of the specification.

The spec requires certain icons (based off awards) to be aligned to the right of the users name. The problem is though that the names length changes size and the icons need to adjust to this.

Is there a way to anchor the icons layer to a text layer?

What's happening 🚫
1676369437928.png

What should be happening ✅
1676369476803.png

Any help would be appreciated.

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @cjrcooper

I will describe one way to do this yet maybe another forum member has a much easier way to share.

First, I will assume that the name Chris is in its own Layer and that a space is added to the end of the name. I am also going to assume that the medal icons are group together and can be treated as a single object (Groupled Layers or otherwise). I will also assume you can align the name and the medals vertically and all you need is for the medals to be moved over consistnely next to the end of the name.

So here is the starting Layer Stack. I took your example and extracted the medals as a single Layer and made Chris a Text Layer:

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 2.13.39 PM.jpg

Select just the Tsxt Layer and use Cmd+T ( Cntl+T on PCs) to initiate the transition.you want to have the transform pivot point of the right side of the text so one has to click on the pivot point icon in the Option Panel when you have the move tool selected. Pick the little square on the right of the box:

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 2.14.53 PM.jpg

Now right click on the image and select Flip Horizontal to end up with a result below:

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 2.15.24 PM.jpg

Now use the Left Align icon in the Options Panel to align the medal group with the left side of the flipped text:

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 2.17.42 PM.jpg

Now all you have to do is flip the text back to its original position.

Use Cmd+T (Cntl+T for PCs), select the left side pivot point of the icon in the Options Bar and right click on the image and choose flip horizontal. Here is the result:

Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 2.19.20 PM.jpg

I believe all of the actions mentioned can be put into an Action. You may need to use the Edit > Transform > Flip Horizontal instead of the right click on the image so avoid any need for the cursor to be positioned yet I believe this approach is worth trying.

Hope this helps
John Wheeler