What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adobe Creative Cloud Br

Yzerwing

Hello forum Gurus,

I am new to the forum and new to Photoshop CC.
I had an Adobe Tech support person ask me if I had Bridge and said it was FREE and I should use it.
Unfortunately he didn't explain what it was for or what it does. I assume it is used with PhotoShop?

I use a Windows 10 PC and have the Creative Cloud Photography package.

Thank you for your assistance

Yzerwing

Thank you IamSam the link really explained it well. Do you use this too? Is it a separate app or is it integrated into PhotoShop?

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Your welcome. I use it everyday!

No, it's a separate program. Since I use a mac, I'm not sure where to tell you to look for it on a PC. Let me do some checking.

revnart

Power User
Once you get used to it.. You will never leave it I guess ;-) I can't imagine me using finder or explorer now :)

Yzerwing

What about Lightroom CC (a part of the Creative Cloud Photography package) I have been using it for years to organize and edit photos does it not do the same thing? In short, what does Bridge do that Lightrooms Library module can't do?

Thanks

Tom Mann

Guru
I used Bridge for years before Adobe came out with Lightroom. I started using LR almost immediately after its introduction, but it did not usurp Bridge from my workflow.

I am a huge fan of LR because of its ability to perform reasonably powerful image searches that can span multiple hard drives. I also use LR every day because of its ability to handle huge numbers of ACR presets, powerful capabilities for producing prints, photo books, slideshows, etc. Sure, there are more powerful, separate programs to produce prints, or books, or slideshows, and I own some of these programs, but for me LR does 95% of what I need in these areas in one nice, seamless package.

Bridge is a very different programs. Think of it as a conventional file manager that was put on steroids to make it perfect for *really* fast browsing of images within a directory, comparing images, quickly assigning and obtaining info about each image, dispatching them to other programs to be worked on, etc. Bridge's major limitation is that it has no serious / fast search facilities that span many directories or several hard drives, because it has no pre-constructed database.

In contrast, the file handling aspects of LR are much more along the lines of a DAM, a Digital Asset Management program. It provides reasonably powerful search facilities, but the trade-off for this is that you can't just take a quick look at a bunch of files: they first have to be ingested, ie, metadata extracted and placed in LR's database, preview images generated, etc.. Sometimes it's just not worth it to spend the time/energy go through this and it's easier to use Bridge for this. LR is also annoying when you want to move files around -- you absolutely must do this within LR. If you forget and move the files outside of LR, LR will lose track of where they are, and then, you have to go through an annoying procedure to tell LR their new location, re-synch the directory to make sure you didn't add or delete anything, etc. Also, I find LR's display of the directory structure horrible compared to Bridge.

I use both programs virtually every day. My workflow is this: Using Bridge, I transfer images from my cameras to my computer. I'll also make a backup copy of the files, do initial culling and sorting into directories, assign keywords, stars and color ratings, etc. all within Bridge. Then, after the locations of the files are relatively stable, I'll ingest the result of Bridge's preliminary file handling work (primarily, the "keepers") into LR for ACR-level processing.

Sure, in principle, I could do all the preliminary file handing in LR, but I find it much faster and less painful to do it the way I described.

HTH,

Tom M

Last edited:

Yzerwing

Thank you Gedstar, your videos sealed the deal! I will be sticking with Lr after watching these. They all pretty clearly state that Br is much better for design oriented work and I am do Photography centered work. Plus one of those videos uncovored a feature in lightroom I was unaware of and I spent the next 2 hours "playing" with what, may as well be a new feature to me. Though I may some day purchase Indesign for some publishing projects I will get Bridge then when that comes to pass.

Thankyou all for your help!

CPR

Just a note for Windows 10. If you want to find a program or a file in your computer just click the window at bottom left and when it pops up start typing what you want - In this case "bridge" and it'll pop up for you to click on it.