What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All drawn Shapes (each in diff layer) not visible at the same time

BeginnerArtist

1. I am starting with a white bg layer
  2. then I draw a shape using shape tool and it gets added as a new layer
  3. repeating step 2 I have multiple layers with multiple shapes
BUT I am not able to see all of the shapes "together" as overlap. I only see a shape based on the current layer I select and other shapes get hidden

NdTEb.png

Rich54

Guru
If the shape on the top layer is bigger than the others, or if they are all exactly the same size and perfectly superimposed on top of each other, then the top one is essentially blocking your view of the ones underneath. As an experiment, activate the layer for one of the lower shapes and then use the Move tool to reposition it a little, to see if it starts appearing. You can also try temporarily reducing the layer opacity of the top layer to check if the bottom one starts peeking through.

If these ideas don't address your problem, then try attaching your actual photoshop file here and people can take a look at it to diagnose the problem.

BeginnerArtist

Thank you for your reply Rich54, I tried the steps but not working.
attached is the sample file. It has one bg layer and one shape layer.
if you select bg layer then the shape gets hidden.

Attachments

• shapeshidden.psd
    686.1 KB · Views: 11

Rich54

Guru
For some reason, this file won't open properly for me. Probably because I have an old version of Photoshop and something about your file is incompatible. All I see is a white background layer and then an empty layer above it where your ellipse is supposed to be. I get this error message when I try to open it.

1639895544955.png

It's late at night, but be patient and somebody else will come along, probably tomorrow, to take a look at this.

Rich

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello.

There is a shape path. The path is associated with it's shape layer, when you switch to the BG layer, the path disappears.
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 1.19.20 AM.png

You had the shapes fill turned off. If you want to see the shape after selecting another layer, you have to give the shape a fill value/color or a stroke or a layer style effect.
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 1.30.19 AM.png

Two shape layers.
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 1.45.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 1.31.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-19 at 1.20.28 AM.png

JeffK

Guru
Just to add to Sam's explanation, with the shape layer active, click on your shape tool. This will open a menu at the top where you can add effects:

1639918062262.png

If you want to add a stroke outline or fill with a color, just click on those boxes on the menu.

When you just choose to create a shape, as Sam explained, it's just an empty path. You have to add the "cosmetics". :)

BeginnerArtist

Thank You very much Sam for the explanation. I am able to see the shape from bg layer after I filled it up with color !!! :perfect::thumbsup:
Thank You Jeff for your contribution as well.:)
and Rich54 you too !!

Thanks you all guys !!! Onto the next chapter !!