What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone could help?

kaanmalkoc

How did they do the ''gold'' Justin Timberlake... any help would be precious for me. thank you

Justin-Timberlake-20-20-Experience-Digital-Booklet-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm kind of waiting to see if anyone else will answer this thread. I'm not certain I'm doing this the right way.

If no one else comes up with a better way of creating this effect, I'm not sure I can explain what I did!

Photoshop_Gradient_Map_effect_01.png

Rich54

Guru
Sam, whatever you did, it looks like exactly the desired outcome. Here's how I approached it:

1. Find a suitable image, preferably with white background.
2. Create a selection of the person only (i.e., without the background) and copy it to a new layer. Temporarily de-activate the original base layer.
3. Use a Threshold adjustment and clip it to that new layer. Adjust the threshold slider to taste (whatever shows as black will be converted to gold in the next step.)
4. Using the magic wand, select everything that's black. Make sure to uncheck the "contiguous" box.
5. With that selection active, create a new layer and fill with gold (or any other color). Use the Move tool to shift the gold layer to the right.
6. Re-activate the original image layer and de-activate all other layers except the new gold layer.
7. We want everything black in the original image to show through the gold. One way to do this is to set the blend mode of the gold layer to Darken.
8. As an optional step, you can put a mask on the gold layer and mask it out wherever you think it needs it.

james bond.jpg

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's basically how I did it.

I first opened an image of Timberlake.
I removed the white background by using a layer mask. I, of course, added a new layer below JT and filled it with white.

I then duplicated the JT image layer. I moved the layer below the original. I then used the Move Tool to move him over.

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 9.54.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 9.12.59 PM.png

I then lowered the opacity of the duplicated JT image.

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 9.13.10 PM.png

Set the original JT image layers layer mode to Darken. (very important)

I then added a Gradient Map adjustment layer above the JT duplicate layer and below the original JT image layer.
I clipped the Gradient Map adjustment layer to the JT duplicate layer below.

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 9.58.48 PM.png

I adjusted the Gradient maps gradient, by clicking on the gradient and opening the Gradient editor.

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 9.14.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 10.00.53 PM.png

Once I had the colors close, I clicked OK.
I then lowered the opacity of the Gradient map to about 68%.

That's about it.

Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 10.06.15 PM.png

It could use some more tweaking, but I think I'll call it done for now.

Hybrus

potato.jpg
nah . . .
I just want potato

Rich54

Guru
Sam, I like your method better than mine. After I posted mine I looked more closely at the original example and saw that the gold JT image still retains some depth in the face. Your method, using a gradient map, achieves this. Mine did not.