What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone need this???

theKeeper

Guru
Hey does anyone care to know how to create this type of effect? It could be used for a logo or a 3Dish project of some kind i suppose.

I was gonna just write up a tute for it but since my time is real lean lately i thought it better to find out what the interest level would be like first.

:B

Looks pretty sweet!

If time is lean how about a brief overview of the technique rather than your usual detailed instructions. We can then refine the details between us, which should help us learn the way it works better, rather than duplicating the tute directly.

CC

Hey ok, that sounds like a great idea Captain. :perfect:

I'll just throw out the steps verbatum, without any of my usual banter in between.

I'll post this in the "Forum Tutorials" board tonight. [excited]

Mark, speaking for myself, I like your style and banter. Do it your usual way-- you've been very successful and are well recognized as a authority. Those who don't need the step by step can always skip around. I like the details buddy.
[excited] [excited] [excited]
Looks like a great tut :}

Are you using a step/transform method for that?

Thx Joy. [honesty]
But the only reason i was even asking is because my time is tight right now, what with writing all of the special tutorials for the new section i'm creating.

But i know there's been curiosity expressed about this type of effect so i thought i should at least ask. :)

I like Captain's idea though. It does indeed leave room for explorations. I see that as a good thing. [slick]

Mb... ya kind of, i guess. It's the ol' "select all, nudge, lather rinse repeat" technique. ;) But that's just to get the 3D thickness. The rest is done manually.

3D

wow..is that stunning!

If you do get round to making that one, I'll definitely enjoy trying it out.

Tanya

K guys the tute is posted in the "Forum Tutorials" board.

Have at er! :perfect:

PS: i made a few mods to the look too. Took it a little further... i like the new version better. :D

Nice tute!

Here is my attempt. I think perhaps the text I used was too thin, but I guess that is the price you pay for using such a long name :)

The tute doesn't mention selecting the layer to colorize, as the layer you have just finished editing is still the edges layer.

My guesses at the extra things you did (and have tried to duplicate in my one). Blurred the shadow, and faded the noise in the background layer as the text gets further away. I did this by creating a gray layer above the background layer and using a gradient layer mask.

The fiddled with the lighting effects filter to get the spotlight effect.

Am I close?

CC

Wow that looks nice man. Good depth effect.

Your font is fine Captain.

I'm not sure about that problem you mentioned but i'll have a reread and check or it.

As for the EXTRA things i did... i already said to blur the shadow, so that's not one. :B

I did 3 things overall.
You're KINDA close on the fading the noise in the bg... but not really. Remember... think "perspective". ;)

Oh and you got the Lighting Effects Filter correct for the ombient lighting effect. Figured that would be an easy one to guess. [slick]

Okeydokey, well I guess that the background layer has to be distorted in the same way as we distorted the text layer.

I guess you could,
Lighten/blur the shadow more as it gets further from the light source. But I can't spot if you are doing that.

Darken the highlights as it gets further away (can you tell I am guessing now!).

Strictly speaking the reflection use is not correct (unless that is one of your sneaky improvements) as the highlights/ shadows are simply duplicated rather than reflected, but as the area being reflected is quite small, and the added noise and blurring I don't think most people will notice unless they are looking for it [shhh] , and fixing it requires basically repainting the highlights/shadows.

CC

Hah! My first attempt. I'll admit that I rather departed from the text a couple of times when I got confused and just went about replicating the tute as best I could. :D

now this looks like fun :D
oooooo like that one Welles :perfect:
sfm

Hey ya, nice one Welles.

You guys both created great adaptations. :perfect:

Captain... You're correct about perspective distorting the background to make the agnle the text is sitting on. Good thinking. ;)

As for the reflection itself... your reflections are sitting up a little high on the surface. They need to be move down slightly below the type -- only because the surface perspective dictates that.

As for the reflection i created...
The reflection does not need to be inversed in this case because #1) the object's surface is very simple and symetrical, and #2) the viewer is seeing the object from the same side that the light source is on. If you were to put the light source or the viewer on the other side, then the reflections would indeed need to be altered to reflect more shadows.

Does that make sense?

But you're also right about the reflection details being hidden by surface texturing and blurring, so it's not as crucial to make them perfect.

I did this one the best I could..trush can was very busy. [honesty]

Mark
I've done one other thing to my type for effect. See if you can tell what i've done to add to the look.

I think that you add pattern overlay and a stroke. ;)

Tell us, pls. :)

Ahhh very nice ljiljana, i like the colour scheme.

One thing though... you've got an original problem which you've created without knowing it... your type has a skewed bevel effect on it. This will hugely effect the reflection of the type on the surface it sits on.

If the side of the letters bevel inward, there would be no reflection, because you can't see the sides due to their angle. And yet, you have skewed your bevel which then means that only one side of your type will have a reflection on the surface. The right side of your type overhangs, and that side will have a reflection.

This is a case where a mirrored reflection is in oder. ;)

As for what i did extra for mine... no stroke, but yes, a faint pattern overlay. The texture used was the first default one and it was scaled down to about 55-60%.

Back