What's new

Being Left Handed

SMOk3

I was looking through some threads and noticed this image:

Do such establishments not cater for left handed people like myself?
It can be a pain at times being a Southpaw

Many (too many) moons ago when I was at school, we used to all have a desk to sit behind.

Just curious after seeing it that's all..

Attachments

It is definitely seems inconsiderate towards lefties, but seeing these sorts of things as a challenge develops versatility, adaptability and innovation in the lefties. Guess that is why a greater percentage of lefties turn out to be gifted.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Having lived my life as a left handed person, I can tell you with an absolute yes, there is a huge bias against left handed persons in the US.

This may have changed since, but from Elementary to University, I never had left handed desk. I can also tell you that it was (and still is) almost impossible to find anything made for lefties, such as scissors, ball gloves. My Father was a big hunter and we could never find left hand operated shotguns or hunting rifles. No left handed fishing reels. I was interested in music when I was younger and tried a variety of instruments, in those days none were made for a lefty. Although they may make some now, I had never ever seen a left handed camera. We lefties are forced to hold and operate a camera in our right hands. I could go on but there's really no point. Just adapt and move on.

Things have changed somewhat over the years, but there's no question that there is a bias against left handed persons.

SMOk3

Sam I never even realised about the cameras. I used to use them on a regular basis in the early 90's.
Fishing reels, I used to do a lot of trout fishing (frustratingly). And about shooting. I went to but a new rifle
for rabbits etc, but when I mentioned a left handed stock, the guy said it would be an extra £100.

The rifle would have been £600 if I'd been right handed, but being left it went to £700.

"Just adapt and move on" That's all we can do or have to do.

I was looking through some threads and noticed this image:

Do such establishments not cater for left handed people like myself?
It can be a pain at times being a Southpaw

Many (too many) moons ago when I was at school, we used to all have a desk to sit behind.

Just curious after seeing it that's all..
Being left handed myself, I did find a lot of issues while writing on this stupid thing.
Glad I am done with these stupid chairs. It was just a pain.