What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black and White stylised pattern

Jamous

Monki_tour_pic.jpg

Hey guys,

Seen this effect cropping up here and there and would love to know if anyone had any advice as to how to do it?

Really like the old skool stippled feel of the pattern, would it be a case of creating a pattern overlay on shapes drawn with the pen tool and creating a variety of slightly different dots?

This is my first post, apologies if it's in completely the wrong place, it seemed correct?

Best,

j

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi Jamous and welcome to PSG.

The back ground appears to be 2 layers (possibly 3) of different sized dots using a layer style with Pattern Overlay. Then masks are used to blend.

One is gray with black dots and the other is just the opposite.

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 10.12.34 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 10.12.41 AM.png

Jamous

Hey man,

Just been browsing the forum, very impressed with your work as an admin, can see myself learning a lot from being here.

Just had a play with your advice, looks really good - thanks a lot, simple idea but effective. I haven't got a great deal of experience working with creating custom patterns, like the dots required. Is there a max size for the document i should be creating a pattern within? I started with 20x20px and drew a circle inside, but it doesn't seem to be giving enough space between each of the dots for the pattern?

Will keep having a play, thanks for the response.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think the pattern I used was already in the presets. Take a look before you try to create your own. Having said that, it would be great practice to actually create your own!

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 10.49.53 AM copy.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good luck! I may have underestimated your experience with Ps. I did not provide much information on the technique. There is much more going on that I did not state, for instance, how to get the gray dots on a black background. This is fairly simple but it will require some explaining. I'll leave it up to you to ask for help when you need it.

Tom Mann

Guru
Another method would be to first create the large darker and lighter "blotchy" areas without any dot pattern, and then run the result through the half-tone filter.

The adjustments available in the halftone filter provides some creative options that you may like such as easily changed dot shapes, dot frequency, dot angle, smooth transitions of the dots between areas of different brightness instead of step changes, etc.

Tom M

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great idea Tom!

Here is the 3 layer version....

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 11.45.28 AM.png

Here is the layers panel. The top two layers have layer masks. I used the BRUSH TOOL set black on the layer masks.

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 11.45.37 AM.png

Jamous

Thanks for the help guys, really nice - this is the experiment I came up with - not as sleek as yours but still similar effect to what I was after.

Attachments

• snm_cover_photo.jpg
    snm_cover_photo.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 1

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great job Jamous, it turned out pretty darn close to the original!