What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3D Blender - 70s Cassette Tape Player

gedstar

Guru
Looks really good Lambert, only one slight thing the volume button looks a little rough around the edges, apart from that an excellent job :thumbsup:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Ged!

Yes I know, I'll have to correct that (I saw it when it was rendering)

I made a cylinder, pulled some edges out, applied a bevel modifier with the edge split and something went wrong there.

fredfish

Guru
It looks great Eggy (I am sure I had exactly that model myself :))

Is it me or is there something wrong with the grille? It could be an Escher type illusion. It looks to me like the cut away is on the top of the grille and not in the recesses. As I said it could be me.

Untitled-1.jpg

Cheers

John

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks John!

Well seen about the grille!

Actually the top 'creme colored' part of the deck is in one part.
Its a bit hard to explain but I did extrude the ribs from the top plane, so far so good.
To cut out the circle you need to place a circle shape above that part (and go to top view) and with some mumbo jumbo Blender trick (knife project) you cut out your circle, actually you select the faces you want to delete.
For some reason (I'm new in Blender) I could only delete the top parts of the grille and not the recesses parts. :question:
I was busy for hours with that problem until I gave up...
For today I had enough Blender and maybe (my interesse in this project is fading...) I'll correct that flaw by cutting out the grille part and try doing it the right way!

fredfish

Guru
Thanks for the explanation - I have been following along with a few blender tutorials - so I understand a bit (and I do mean a bit) of what you said. Unlike you I haven't started to create my own objects - except for some very basis ones. I have a bit of time off over the next few days so as well as some work clearing the garden I intend trying some blender stuff myself.

I don't know why but I have in my head trying to recreate a Tin Bath from scratch - I think it will give me the chance to play with some basic meshes and some textures and bump maps, as well as perhaps adding things like handles and rivets! If I get round to doing it I will post here.

I mean it when I say that your progress has been a bit of an inspiration - so many thanks for posting.

Cheers

John

fredfish

Guru
Now that is lovely! :thumbsup:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks John!

I had to cut out the grille part and replace it by the new one.

But I'm still not out of the woods and there's something I have to test tomorrow.

When using 'knife project' you project the shape onto your target (top view).

So actually it would be like this:
Untitled-1.jpg

where the red object affects only the top part and the green object, placed lower then the top, affects the bottom part.

I'll test it tomorrow.

MrToM

Guru
I like the first version better, despite your rough knob and blocked speaker vents.

Looks like you've nailed those problems now though.

Can you use that 'Knife Project' on just the underside of the object or is it really a 'project' from the outside in, and everything in its way goes?

In 3DsMax you can do what is known as a 'boolean' operation whereby one object can be used to 'cut-away' geometry of another....is this 'Knife Project' the same sort of thing?

Whatever, looking good regardless. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
I like the first version better, despite your rough knob and blocked speaker vents.

Looks like you've nailed those problems now though.

Can you use that 'Knife Project' on just the underside of the object or is it really a 'project' from the outside in, and everything in its way goes?

In 3DsMax you can do what is known as a 'boolean' operation whereby one object can be used to 'cut-away' geometry of another....is this 'Knife Project' the same sort of thing?

Whatever, looking good regardless. :thumbsup:

Regards.
MrToM.

Thanks MrToM!

Actually I liked the first version more too but I messed up the way I discribed.

Knife project is a way to project a shape, flat or 3D onto a 3D shape in 'top view mode' (What you see is what you get).
It doesn't matter what shape it is projected on and depending on that shape and mesh it selects 'faces' you can delete or push back or extrude.
In a case you want to punch a hole through a cube you'll have to repeat the action.

In some cases I managed to project a 3D object onto another 3D object so that is possible although in other tries I could not perform the operation while doing exactly the same actions.

No need to say I still have a lot to learn.

I don't want to go too fast neighter but advance slowly and learn from each action.

I'm not familiar with the boolean operation but something like this exists in Blender.

I don't have to say I didn't used all the options in Blender, yet...

Everything is already said about your new "Tape Player" job.
Excellent work of you again Lambert, it looks crisp and new like 40 years ago.
I like how you solved the problem about the "Escher Illusion". The new version is spot on, I really like how it turned out! :thumbsup:

Eggy

Retired Moderator
Thanks Chris!

I don't have to say to you how confusing Blender is for a newb...
It was fun today although my blood pressure did rised at moments.

Still a long way to go before I can post a decent work...:cheesygrin:

Last edited:
What you do is very decent work Lambert, really.
Did you ever google 3D Blender jobs? Not very much good work to find.
I'm just talking about "hard surface" work, like we do.

Eggy

Retired Moderator
You're right Chris, but the main goal is having fun, and that's what I have, sometimes...:cheesygrin: