What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blending Modes CC2020

Hudson

I'm having a problem that I'd love to solve if anyone can assist. I have exhaustively searched for a remedy to no avail.
I record an action to change the look of an image to just show the shadows in a specified colour.
With only a Background layer open (below), I then record the following steps for the action:
Rose-Sample-image.jpg
1. Layer Via Copy (Ctrl+J).
2. Desaturate (Ctrl+Shift+U).
3. Make fill layer (Solid Color) and change it's Blend Mode to Color. Color selected is #578000 (yellow -green).
4. In Blending Options, I set Blend If as below:
SH_38.jpg
I then STOP RECORDING.
This is the image after recording the action.
Rose-Sample-image-1.jpg
I delete all layer above the Background Layer then run the action with just the single Background layer . . .

. . . and the "Blend If" settings are not retained and this is the image:
Rose-Sample-image-2.jpg

Hi Hudson
I have to ask this potential pilot error question. When creating the Action, right after changing the Blend-If sliders, did you click on the OK button before stopping the recording of the Action. If not, it would not record the Blend If slider positions.
Just a guess
John Wheeler

Hi Hudson
I have to ask this potential pilot error question. When creating the Action, right after changing the Blend-If sliders, did you click on the OK button before stopping the recording of the Action. If not, it would not record the Blend If slider positions.
Just a guess
John Wheeler
Thanks John. I definitely click OK and also go back and change the blend mode to Overlay but still don't retain the Blend If slider positions. I thought this would be a simple action but it's not cooperating.

Well that is strange. I think I followed you instructions in creating a similar Action and it did record the Blend If positions and came up with a similar result. (Note, I did not position the Blend-If sliders exactly where you had them yet just close to see a similar effect).

Following is a screen shot of the expanded steps of the Action and the Layers I used. This is followed by the resulting image.
Not sure why there is an issue yet why don't you expand you Action and see if the steps are all there.
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 11.25.38 PM.png

Rose-Sample-image-adj.jpg

I've tried everything but the action is still not retaining the slider values. I think it must be a setting somewhere but don't know where to look. I reset my preferences and still same result. It's really got me stumped. Thanks for trying guys - appreciated.

I use CC2020 (version 20.0.1). I will get the upgrade to 20.0.2 and see if it fixes the problem. I solved the issue by writing the Blend If section in CS5 and loaded it into 2020. All good!
Many thanks for finding the solution John .

Hi @Hudson
The most recent version is now beyond 20.0.2 yet the problem should be fixed. That was a strange Photoshop Bug.
Glad you are back up and running
John Wheeler

Hi @Hudson
The most recent version is now beyond 20.0.2 yet the problem should be fixed. That was a strange Photoshop Bug.
Glad you are back up and running
John Wheeler
Very odd indeed John. Sometimes I suppose as the software gets more complex, some minor tweaks inadvertently affect other parts without the coders picking it up. All good and again thanks for the solution. Cheers.

Back