What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blending selection edges

rdtindsm

I am working on a photo that has two large areas, bascically the sky, a much darker shaded area, and a wedge area in between the two representing a normal daylight hillside. The photo is of the evrest base camp so evrything is rocky and brown or gray with light green from scrub.

I have been adjusting the global colors by separating the picture into these three areas, and adjusting with the "levels" contols plus some burning and dodging and this has worked will overall.

The problem is that by using three areas to control the color levels, the picture looks a little like it was pasted together with sharp edges between each area because of the distinct and well defined lighting lighting differences. There is a little of this in the original capture, but it is acerbated by the post processing selections.

I tried to feather the masks using, IIRC, selection->refine edge. I applied a value of about 5 to the feather value. All this did was create an artifact similar to sharpening, that is, a distinct line along the edges. I was able to get rid of a lot of the problem by using spot healing and / or the blur tool along the edge. Although in general the problem was improved, I am not completely happy with the result and am sure there must be a better way.

How to create a seamless transition between these edges?

try feathering normally then inverse and feather again, does that help?

Ooo yellow! Lol. The thing about designers is that we have a verrrrry little attention span (right guys?). We don't read a lot. Sorry to say, but I stopped reading after the 1st paragraph itself.
Please put up images & I assure you, we will solve your queries :)

Problem solved?

did you try it?

Well then, give the guy some lessons, thats what your getting the big bucks for as a mod isn't it?lol

you are suppose to read these things? .damn I knew I was doing something wrong

Sorry, I will post a picture ASAP. I usually work from home, but my dsl connection is down and I don't know when it will be fixed. I use selections and masks enough that I really need to figure out how to handle the problem as I am sure it is something that will crop up repeatedly. Is this more of a blending rather than feathering process. I will post a picture at some time in the future, probably tomorrow (Wed afternoon my time (gmt - 5).

If my dsl isn't fixed today, I will post from the library tomorrow. Your answers are why I came in today and I thank you for your attention. Please continue to watch this space.

Last edited:
I don't know the resolution, but for what you are doing I think a 5 px feather is way too small. You need to blend it further than that.

The line below is 150px X 5px at 75px per inch. Assuming it posts at 100% you can see that 5px isn't much to blend.

I also can't figure out how to delete the line without the white. Yeah I'm brilliant.
(with a little hand holding I mangaged to delete the other attachment, thanks iDad.

Attachments

• 5px.jpg
    5px.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I don’t have the number of posts to provide links, see the relevant images at flickr.com/photos/rdtindsm. The images are labeled artifacts and orig_2.

There are three areas that are being adjusted. I created a light hillside selection, a dark valley selection, saved them as alpha channels, then combined thim in such a way as to create the sky channel using calculations.

Level adjustments are mostly sufficient and this is all that have been applied to the sky and the light hillside in order to show the problem.
I was able to adjust the sky and feather the edge with a value of about 75px IIRC. This worked well, maintaining a seamless boundary between the sky and the darker areas. When I try to adjust the light hillside, then the fuzzy cloud edge becomes well defined and an artifact is created along the the valley / hillside boundary. I tried feathering this area using either positive and negative values; neither works.

I will work with iDad’s suggestion and am also going to pursue changing my workflow areas, but I still see a problem with the clouds. I did find a video on creating a mask directly from the image values and will likely have to try that.

the more I look into this the more I smell a cleaver spammer

Back